Requirements for being a teacher at International Schools

ferreresnielsen

Requirements for being a teacher at International Schools

Post by ferreresnielsen »

I am a Chemical Engineering with an MBA and a Master in Technology Management with 20 years of experience in Product Development in the Industry. My mother tongue is Spanish but I also speak English and German.
I have lived in different countries having raised kids in international schools and I am very interested in starting a new career as a Chemistry or Math teacher in High School . I have experience in teaching Organic chemistry in College some time ago and the last three years I ' ve been working as a substitute teacher and private tutor in an International School.
My questions are :
1) do I need a teaching degree to work as a teacher in International Schools ? If yes do a Master in Teaching or Education will be Ok ? Or a teaching certificate ?
2) with my background , would it be easy for me to find a job as a teacher in International Schools ?
thank you ver much for your input !
overseasvet2

fast track programs

Post by overseasvet2 »

There have been many professionals who've made the switch in careers via fast track teaching degree programs. You experience in the private sector would be highly valued but accrediting organizations require schools to have certified teachers on staff. For some schools, it's good enough if you are working on it. There are schools that would hire you without a teaching degree but I would doubt if they'd be the top quality institutions. If you Google "fast track teaching" you'll find all kinds of resources.
ferreresnielsen

Post by ferreresnielsen »

Thanks for the input. For a teaching certificate they are asking me a 2 years course with lots of fieldwork and I really want to get a job in one year. In that case I should do a Master in teaching which is offered mainly on line for one year. But my question is with my little experience in classroom if this Master will be well seen in my Resume.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

It's worth pointing out here that a MAT will not necessarily get you certification - that depends on which university you choose and which state it is in. I'm looking into starting an MAT next summer, and the program I'm looking at will not earn someone certification - and as the other posters pointed out, the lack of certification will unfortunately lock you out of many international schools.