Anyone heard of Teach Away?

lightstays

Anyone heard of Teach Away?

Post by lightstays »

They are offering up to 6000 USD/month to instruct Grade 12 English (not ESL) in the UAE. I've heard mixed things about UAE placements outside of a few good int schools. Anyone familiar with these guys?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Android

Post by Android »

The information that I am putting on here is based from my own personal experience ( interview only as I didn't take the job after it was offered to me ) and four of my friends ( females and males ) who are in their 1st and 2nd years of teaching in the UAE with Teachaway.

Company: It's actually a Canadian recruitment company that has since grown in Australia and the US. They cater to the PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM in areas like South East Asia, East Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Currently, their biggest deal is securing the contract with ADEC ( Abu Dhabi Educational Council ) of the UAE to be the main " supplier " of foreign teachers abroad into the public school system. ADEC has implemented a " new " program ( around 3 - 4 years old now ) where foreign teachers will teach the core subjects of English, Math and Science, of course, IN ENGLISH. I believe that this is the UAE's monarchical govt to implement English as the language of instruction at their schools.

Salary : The $ 6000 USD / month is FALSE, FALSE, FALSE. When one of my friends ( who's a new teacher - this is her first year of teaching ) interviewed last year, they quoted her $ 3500 USD. When she asked about the $ 4500 - $ 6000 quoted on their website, they mentioned that it's for administrators, with extra credentials such as masters and phds, with serious qualifications. For an administrator with these types of credentials, $ 6000 would be quite low, in my opinion. In reality, the salary falls between $ 3000 - $ 3500. The attractive part about the package is that you do get housed in very beautiful, spacious, modern, stylish apartments ( villa style ) as a single, without any roomies or sharing. It's also free, even though it's unfurnished ( but they do provide the cash for you to buy new furniture ). If you compare the salary and the benefits package to other schools in the Middle East or even in UAE alone itself, it's generally " the same ".

* Think about it this way : If they were REALLY paying $ 6000 / month, would they need an agency to recruit? Teachers would be banging down their doors. Ever wonder as to why really good, top, premier international schools in East Asia or Europe only need ONE or TWO recruiters to attend the fairs? It's usually the Head or Director of the school...or the principal. *

Work : However, despite the "attractive" salary, there are serious realities that one must deal with. Here are the details about the areas and schools :

a) If you work in VERY RURAL AREAS : You will be the only foreign teacher in a village of a few hundred people. Most will be poor farmers with a handful of livestock, their families and such. There will be NOTHING in your surroundings that would provide " Western comforts ". Supermarkets would be the regular " ma and pa " shops selling expired, old products. Do not expect roads. Expect deserted wide expanses of areas with a few old habitations here and there. Vegetables are scarce ( bc who are we kidding? The Middle Eastern region has always had problems with scarcity of vegetation in the last few centuries ) and meat is a privelege. If farmers can't even afford to eat their own meat, then why should you? The schools will be highly traditional. If you're a woman, expect to wear the veil and acclimatise to all strict cultural traditions. You will also be the only English-speaker. You would be very lucky if one of the administrators or teachers actually spoke English.

b) Al-Ain : This is the " garden city " of Abu Dhabi bc guess what...there's actually grass that grows here. Not a lot, but grass neverthless. It's considered a " weekend getaway " for Abu Dhabi city inhabitants bc it has less traffic, less convoluted and well, it has some grass and vegetation. Strangely enough, it's also the hottest area in the UAE. My friend who worked here ( she transferred to Abu Dhabi city around 2 years ago ) had to wear a veil to work. She taught Grade 1 students and in her pictures, was always seen wearing a veil in the classroom. This suggested to me that the school that she landed on was still strict and very traditional.

c) Abu Dhabi City : Around 1 - 2 hours away from Al Ain by drive. It has all the glitz and glamour of "Western" opulence. It also has a lot of foreign expats living there ( either on business or teachers like ourselves ). The cons : Extremely busy, traffic-ridden with public schools suffering from SEVERE DISCIPLINE ISSUES ( especially in the Junior High and Senior High School areas ). The classes are segregated by sex and thus, the male foreign teachers have to teach the males. One of my friends who is in his first year of teaching High School - English is not going to be recontracting. He stated that there are serious issues of bullying, violence (towards him and other classmates) that go unlargely punished because the administration at his school still think in the traditional way ( " Let the boys be boys "...or " Boys should be able to fight their own battles " ). The pass rate for subjects is 95 % - 100 %. When I was being interviewed, I was asked, " If a parent came in and demanded that you give their child 100 % even though you know that they didn't deserve it at all, what would you do? ". Apparently, this is a legitimate question for a very real situation. Parents will expect you to BEND to their whim and give their kids 100 % or they will not be able to attend University.

Preferences / Choices in Location : You are NOT really given a "choice". During the application form and the interviews, they ask for your " preference " but of course, it's the "luck of the draw". You will be placed where a foreign teacher is needed. If it happens to be in Abu Dhabi city, Al-Ain or some remote rural area, then so be it.

OTHER INFO:

a) UAE public school system and the life that UAE can provide is ideal for teaching couples only ( without children ) or singles who have Emirati boyfriends and girlfriends. Life can be very lonely. Teaching couples with children will NOT even fare well bc putting their kids in the national system is NOT allowed. They would have to spen d an insane amount of money for the private international schools with the US, Canadian, British or IB curricula. If parents are taking in roughly $ 8000 USD per month, most of that will be gone anyway as they would have to pay the lofty fees of around $ 20, 000 - $ 30, 000 USD at international schools for their kids! A few of my friends who are single managed to find boyfriends and girlfriends who are either foreigners themselves or Emirati nationals. Those with foreign boyfriends and girlfriends have to deal with " sneaking " around...because the school does NOT approve or even allow them to spend the night or time together alone in front of the community. In other words, the traditional, prohibitivie measures that dictate gender relations in the Middle East are also applicable to foreigners. If you have an Emirati girlfriend ( which is extremely rare ) or an Emirati boyfriend, expect prohibitive measures to be on them as well. Many of them could be bethroted to other members of rich families and you, the "lowly" foreign teacher will be seen in very bad light.

b) Some pros : The UAE can provide very fascinating, interesting experiences ( i.e. the skyscrapers, buildings and all the amenities of Abu Dhabi City are fascinating ). There is a lot of shopping to be done in spectacular malls that would make all the malls in North America seem like bargain shops. There are desert adventures to go to ( riding your buggies in deserts, riding camels and such ). You can also travel a lot within the Middle East.

c) Cons : Very long hours. Tough work in public schools. Unforgiving weather that can eventually affect the body and psyche ( no real fresh air! Everything is in air con and the desert dust swirls with the wind, the smell of petrol in busy areas ). Traditionally prohibitive cultural values that usually do not agree with " westerners ".
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Thanks all for the info.

Teach Away, like a shocking number of recruiting agencies for international teaching positions--anyone heard of Ameson?--sounds like it's little more than a scam. At best, an exercise in extremely false advertising.

Why is it that in any other field these kinds of operations would be shut down by some kind of governmental oversight but in education it's still the Wild West?
Android

Post by Android »

No, don't get me wrong: They're NOT a scam at all. They just happen to cater MOSTLY to the public school systems around the world, as opposed to recruiting for the private system. You see, most international schools are in essence, private. They go to agencies like Search, ISS, CIS, Queen's University Fair etc ( or go about their own means ) to hire people since they know that they can have a good pick out of the candidates lined up outside their door ( if they are one of the premier, elite schools in Europe, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong or some exotic, fascinating place altogether like Fiji or something ).

The public system (especially in the Middle East ) have very unique situations and problems...just like international private schools. With the public system, you have to deal with stark cultural differences that are made most apparent when it comes to dealing with the minds of the youth....as opposed to let's say, greedy profit-wielding corrupt owners and directors who don't give a damn about education in some private schools.

It just depends on what you can handle. I mean, ADEC ( the Abu Dhabi Education Council ) and Teachaway together DO attract a fair bit of educated, licensed teachers from all over bc of the " high " salary ( the public school system pays more than international private schools in the Middle East at the starting level of your career ). At $ 3500 - $ 3800 USD, you can't go wrong, especially if the accommodations are like a palace that is completely provided for free. However, there is always an exchange for a lot of money. More money, more problems as one famous rapper said once.