Advice would be highly appreciated!

hogyorgy

Post by hogyorgy »

Can you explain your last sentence about the white european guy please.
I don't get it.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

Sometimes, having an EU passport in Europe can be a disadvantage for tax purposes. At some of the schools, non-EU citizens get to live tax-free for a certain number of years, before being hit with the regular tax rate, which is usually quite high in Europe. Those with EU passports do not get this benefit, making the salary considerably less attractive. It's something to consider (but perhaps only after jobs are offered).
hogyorgy

Post by hogyorgy »

PsyGuy, is it very different being an administrator at an Intl. school than in an American public school? I guess you do not have as many discipline problems there than you would have in the US public school system. How about staff meetings, PD, testing, staff evaluation etc.? What is your normal daily routine, and how did it look like when you were a teacher?
In the school where I am at right now- and I guess it is true for all American public schools- I am EXTREMELY busy. I hardly have time to go to the bathroom and every minute of my day is pre-planned. The pressure is huge from administration and everybody is stressed out. Is it the same at Intl. schools, or it is more relaxed?
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

I've been admin in American and now in an international school. Very, very busy in both jobs, but with different things. I don't know about psyguy's job and not being busy, finding admin sleepy. I don't find it at all. In America I did deal with more discipline issues, more special ed type things, student study team, lots of data and all things NCLB. Here in an international school I am dealing more with parents in a variety of ways including finances, being more involved with their child's education, wanting more say in scheduling etc. I also find myself very involved with staff development (which I did in the states too, but there it was more scheduling it than presenting it), supply ordering, menu planning. Things that were done by the district office in the states are done by each individual school here, so admin takes on all those roles as well.
Conclusion...I am really busy, some days barely time for lunch. I would say that admin in an intl setting is just as busy and time consuming as admin in America.
hogyorgy

Post by hogyorgy »

Thank you mathgym. As Psyguy said he was not a head, neither a principal, "just" a "junior" administrator. Maybe it is an AP type of position, is it Psyguy?
Are you a principal mathgym, AP or director? Do not really get the difference between the director and the principal. Is the director more over finances and the principal is responsible for academics? As I understand most of the Intl. schools have their own school board, so I am guessing the director is the link between the board and the principal, but I might be wrong.
hogyorgy

Hilarious

Post by hogyorgy »

That was the funniest post I have ever read. I am glad you have stopped at 6:30 though. I do not want to know what you do between 6:30PM and 3:30AM LOL.
But you really have a relaxed day there. I mean it sounds surreal.
I wish my job was like yours.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.