How do recess and supervision schedules work?

musings28

How do recess and supervision schedules work?

Post by musings28 »

Here in Canada, Ontario, elementary students get 3 recesses throughout the day (2 that are about 15 minutes long, and 1 lunch recess that is about 30-40 minutes long). Teachers have a schedule where they are told when to provide supervision for these recesses.

High school teachers in Ontario have a far sweeter deal, as there are no recesses, therefore, no recess supervision to do (there is hall supervision, but not that much as far as I know).

How does it work overseas, in general? I know, I know...depends on the country. How does it work in your area of teaching?

Thanks guys, just curious :)
bulegila

None

Post by bulegila »

I'm teaching middle school and I don't have any duties for break times or lunch. There are security guards on each floor and they supervisor the students.

The elementary teachers take it in turns to supervisor lunch with the classroom assistant. It is up to them how they organise this supervision.
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Psyguy, is there a way I can e-mail you some private questions? I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but I'm currently at my first international posting with QSI in Kazakhstan. I'd like to discuss some things with you.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

PsyGuy, the PM system doesn't work on this forum (just an FYI...that's why she was asking for your email). I don't know why they don't get rid of that button/link at the bottom...it hasn't been working since I signed up.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Yeah, I don't blame you...me neither!
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Supervision responsibilities vary widely from school to school, and sometimes even from campus to campus within a school. Shanghai American School's elementary schools have vast different supervision schedules, with Pudong ES teachers having very few duties to Puxi ES teachers being on supervision almost constantly and having 10 minute lunch periods. Apparently teachers are expected to interact with the students while on duty, going to the bathroom and eating a healthy lunch take a backseat.
overseasvet2

duties

Post by overseasvet2 »

"Apparently teachers are expected to interact with the students while on duty, going to the bathroom and eating a healthy lunch take a backseat."

Really? Interacting with children is considered a horrible thing? Glad I don't work in that environment!

As in most schools, elementary teachers generally have more duties, contact time, etc. It's the nature of the beast. The upside is that the children are generally sweet and we don't have to cope with "attitude" or all the other things that come with the older students.

Most of the schools I"ve been in have teaching assistants that do the lion's share of the duties. This is nice at first but you can wind up coping with the fall out of more playground issues unless the assistants are well trained. At my current school ES teachers have a lunch duty once every 4 or 5 weeks. Noone is thrilled when their turn comes around but it's a necessary evil to ensure safety of the students.

I prefer to work in a place where everyone pitches in versus the places where teachers have a sense of entitlement that makes them believe that they don't need to do anything beyond the classroom. Have been in both places and I know where I am more relaxed and enjoy my colleagues.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

So you have a lunch duty once every four to five weeks, not the three to four times a week that SAS Puxi ES have it. Walk a mile and then come back and talk to me.
Bkonality

Post by Bkonality »

Psyguy, I have to wonder about the validity of the sleuth of information you are putting on here....when you think that Kazakhstan is in the Middle East. It's in Central Asia.
tennisfanusa

Post by tennisfanusa »

Thanks psyguy....I created a generic e-mail account

tennisfanusa@yahoo.com

From there I can forward to my real e-mail.