a

southeast asia

a

Post by southeast asia »

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Last edited by southeast asia on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Don't sell yourself short! Although I'm a HS teacher, it sounds to me like you are eminently qualified for the Bangkok fair, which is where I was hired for my current position. I also attended the London fair one year and did not get hired, and found the first Bangkok fair was very lively. I got 3 job offers before I accepted one in Korea.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I would say you are definitely a strong candidate, particularly with all your PYP experience.
overseasvet2

the Bangkok fair

Post by overseasvet2 »

I also think you look like a strong candidate. A lot will depend on your letters of reference and what your referees will say once they are called. (Don't even consider going to a school that doesn't call references!)

Schools tend to hire early in years when there is a dearth of candidates or when they have difficult-to-fill position open like IB Physics. The ugly truth is that elementary positions are often held open until difficult ones are filled just in case the candidate they want has an ES teaching spouse. Singles should not be afraid of the later fairs - there are often many good positions left once the schools sort out pairings, etc.

You have great experience and should do very well.

Good luck!
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

With your experience, you should be able to find something. Many of the schools at that fair want couples only, but I saw plenty of single people with IB experience garner many interviews. You should be fine as long as your references are good and you don't have a lot of dependents coming with you (this is also something schools don't like at these early fairs, no matter what they claim).
southeast asia

Bangkok fair

Post by southeast asia »

Thanks everyone, I am feeling a bit more confident! Now I wish the list would stop being taken off the Search website. First time I looked, I was interested in 10 schools, then new list and 5 schools and now there is no list again!

I don't know what to do because I am open minded but will not even consider going to the Middle East or China! That is why I think London might be better for me, but I can't afford it...

It is either try to get a job beforehand or go to Bangkok.

Thanks
southeast asia

Search Associates didn't agree

Post by southeast asia »

I am not being invited to this fair and have been told it is mainly for couples with extensive experience. This is not what they told me when I first asked about this fair. I should have asked to be signed up 6 weeks ago instead of two weeks ago. Even as late as last week, I was told there were spots and requested one, but will not be able to go now anyway. Is it more competitive this year or because I am apparently not a strong candidate? The Search Bangkok fair that was recommended to me was even more insulting. I am sure I have enough experience for London!!!!
PsyGuy

Kinda True

Post by PsyGuy »

Well its "kinda true", recruiters do know they have the Cambridge fair to fill a spot, if they have to. The BK fair does see a lot of strong couples, and "perfect candidates" or very difficult positions to fill (Physics), and the elite schools (ISB, WAB, France, Italy, Germany) fill up easily and quickly.

Primary is usually a "couples" post, where one partner teaches say Music or Physics, and the other partner needs "something" so they teach primary. There are some couples/families that simply cant consider a position (for economic /financial reasons) without both partners working, so schools like to save a couple primary positions (since they are the easiest to predict, just about everyone can or has a certification in primary) for such teaching couples. They might be legitimately steering you towards a fair that will be more productive for you. You would be frustrated if you went to the BK fair and no one offered you a contract because the recruiters were holding out, wouldnt you?

I think with 5 years experience at PYP, youd be HIGHLY competitive and qualified for a primary school position. I dont want to over dwell on this but it sounds like you might be getting some cultural or racial bias against you.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Do you think you were not invited because you applied relatively late?

Like many others, you appear a strong candidate. PYP with experience of the exhibition is something that will stand out to many PYP schools.

Have you considered the ISS Bangkok fair? That might be one option.

I also suggest you send applications directly to schools that interest you. Keep an eye on your websites.

That is how I got employed (and it is happening more and more now, with schools using Skype etc).

Are you still in Indonesia? I know it is a long shot, but you could tell schools that you have contacted that you will be in Bangkok the week of the fair and are happy to visit the hotel to chat with them.

I did that at the CIS London fair a few years back and got a job that way. I was in Europe at the time, so it was not a major financial cost.

Finally, I have worked in Indonesia and in China. China is in a lot of respects more liveable. You might want to consider Guangzhou or Shekou. Both int. schools use Skype to hire before the fairs.

All the best:)