How to target the right schools...?

tellyrules

How to target the right schools...?

Post by tellyrules »

I have a question: how does one target the right schools more likely to hire them? As in, how do I know which schools are Tier 1, 2, etc?

When I finish a teacher certification next year, I won't have excellent qualifications since I'll probably be certified in Elementary with only 2 years of ESL experience in Asia. ("So... you have no experience in elementary?" :roll: ) Also, when is the best time to start trying to contact schools?

I'm considering either the FAST Train program at George Mason or Teacher Ready online program from Florida (so much cheaper, but can't do ESL). If anyone has experience with either program, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Just don't delude yourself that working in a Tier 1 school is always peachy keen. They do tend to pay more but the expectations can be greater, wingnuts and horrible administrators can get hired anywhere and they aren't necessarily located in the best of environments.

Personally I think too much is made of the mythical "Tier System", it should be what is the best fit for you at that point in your life and that may not be a high pressure, well paying school.
tellyrules

Post by tellyrules »

I'm thinking that my question was poorly worded in that I didn't want to give off the impression that I was expecting to get hired by the most prestigious schools with my minimal qualifications. I am aware that I need to "pay my dues" and work my way up like everyone else.

I'm just a young person trying to get my career started and looking for advice, that's all!

The programs that I'm looking at are for teacher certification in Virginia and Florida. My primary concern is limiting cost (since I already have student loans from undergrad) so the online program in Florida appears to be the best bet.

Normally, I would just get two years of experience first at home, except after doing my research I found out that it's almost impossible to get certified in my home state -Delaware- without paying major $$$ for a Masters. And, physically moving to a different state requires high start up costs with teacher jobs being hard to come by at the same time. That's why I'm willing to take a not-so-good job abroad to get the experience I need to move on to better places.

But thank you for all of the information Psyguy, I really appreciate it.
calliope

Post by calliope »

Are you really a teacher in Hong Kong Psyguy? You constantly mix 'you're' and 'your', have the wrong spelling of 'principle' and sometimes have 'their and there confused. Given how hung up Chinese parents/principals are on correct spelling, syntax and grammar - I'm surprised!
tellyrules

Post by tellyrules »

I really wanted to get certified in ESL, which is why I was looking at the program in Virginia. Unfortunately the online program in Florida doesn't allow you to do ESL because it would require additional coursework that the program doesn't offer. But, the Florida program costs ~$5,000 total and the Virginia program costs ~$17,000 (that's only the tuition, not including housing, books, testing and other expenses). So, I'll probably just get certified in elementary instead, find a job and work a contract, then fly to Florida to take the courses required for ESL endorsement. Or not -- who knows?

The Middle East seems interesting to see, but I know I'd have to throw away any possibility of a romantic life for two years **sigh** haha.
Bkonality

Post by Bkonality »

I work at a " Tier 1" school now ( for the sake of ease, let's stick with the whole "mythical" tierdom ) and I can attest to the fact that even though they pay extremely high, you will earn every single penny as the expectations are to the level of burnout. So yes, it's not always " peachy keen " to work at a Tier 1 school, especially if you are very young / new to the teaching field and international school field.

In fact, one of my most rewarding, amazing teaching experiences was at a "Tier 2" school in Asia. It was relatively small ( 600 students ) and the expectations were not as high....but the students ( all nationals ) were amazing and worked very hard, the staff was friendly, laid back ( and not competitive or power hungry like most teachers at Tier 1 schools ), with a lot of free time to put into lesson planning. I stayed there for three years. It was a for-profit school, but the administrative staff were very caring and supported the teachers wholeheartedly from parents who were a bit bullyish.