missy

Manor Hall International School ???

Post by missy »

Does anyone have any information on Manor Hall International School in
Al Ain (U.A.E.) ?

Thanks.
Bkonality

Post by Bkonality »

Missy, I read some of your posts. Are you set on the Middle East?
Bkonality

Post by Bkonality »

I think the many years of lying that administrators have spent on the "high salary" has definitely outdone itself...now every single new person in the international education field seems to think that the only place where you can make money is the Middle East.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

As usual PsyGuy's insights are lame, insulting, and without merit. I targeted the ME as an interesting destination outside my previous experience. A number of ex-pats at my new school have chosen to stay well beyond their original contract. Several new colleagues taught in other ME countries and wanted to stay in the region. We aren't paid anywhere near six figures, and I would challenge PG's assertion that there are schools that do. There's more to life (and work) than the prestige of a certain tier or a big salary.
overseasvet2

the Middle East

Post by overseasvet2 »

We also heard through the grapevine how well the Middle East paid. Now 15 years wiser, we know that in reality that as a whole, the Far East pays much better. When we first recruited, we only wanted to go to Aramco. Now we're older and wiser and despite the salary, we've learned more about the contract, more about Saudi and a bit about the climate of the school. Today we would not go near the place. We want a dynamic school but are happy to be out of the craziness of top schools in Asia. I find the focus there is on padding administrator's resumes to the point that the focus on learning is lost and there is an insane pace. Can I keep up? You bet, but am at a point in my life where a 7 day work week does not appeal to me and I love being at a smaller school where I know everyone.

I'm at a smallish (600) school in the Middle East that has a wonderful atmosphere and people stay 5-6 years. I believe the key is to stick to schools with a truly international population. It doesn't matter the country, if your student body is primarily comprised of very wealthy children with a sense of entitlement, it's not a good teaching situation. There are plenty of those schools in Central and South America, too!

As others have stated, the key is finding the right fit for you and your family. You have to be savvy about those schoools that have atrocious reputations and keep networking.