Are My Expectations Too High??? (Latin America Preferably)

HistoryEducator

Are My Expectations Too High??? (Latin America Preferably)

Post by HistoryEducator »

Hello all,

Sorry this is going to be a lot, but I am SERIOUSLY considering teaching internationally within the next few years!

I am a young, single male, in my early 20's, who has just finished my first year teaching high school Social Studies in the United States in a school that would be equivalent to "inner city standards." While I thoroughly enjoy working with young adults and teaching Social Studies, I have learned very fast that the inner city is NOT for me. Don't get me wrong, I can "survive" in those conditions, but I would not truly be enjoying my life--teaching would just be a job, not a career! I have put up with everything under the sun from high amounts of discipline problems, unruly students, and lack of parental and administrative support. All these problems made my first job less than desirable (but hey, you have to start somewhere)! Quite frankly there were times where I felt powerless!

Ever since I was young I have always had a fascination with the world outside the United States. I love adventures, traveling, and new people/cultures. I am very spontaneous, although I do enjoy some stability as well. Let's face the facts--my first year teaching I earned around $30,000, not including taxes (roughly $22,000 after taxes). If I continued to teach in the same state for 30 years until retirement I would retire at roughly $52,000 (not including taxes). I have had to live with my parents the first year and will probably continue to do the same for the next few years to save money. If I had to pay rent in addition to my other expenses (food, car payment, car insurance, gas, phone, entertainment, etc.) I would be struggling to support myself. Not to mention the fact that there is no way I feel that I could ever settle down and get married and have kids on my salary.

*I am VERY INTERESTED in teaching overseas within the next TWO to THREE years and would like to plan ahead of time (hopefully for the long term). I am interested in teaching in a lot of places, however, I preferably would want to be in LATIN AMERICA. This is because I thoroughly enjoy the culture, I'm a laid back at heart kind of guy (although I know how to work overhaul). I'm also half-Hispanic, and going back to my Latin roots would be a DREAM! I have traveled to Mexico twice, Honduras, and Guatemala. I have lots of family in Honduras, so obviously that would be a high priority location (especially for retirement).

My Qualifications:
1.Certified to teach High School Social Studies (Grades 9-12) in the U.S.
2. Proficient in the Spanish language (although I wouldn't consider myself fluent yet).
3. Worked in an inner city school my first year. Student taught in an upper class school.
4. Worked with kids from various cultures and backgrounds.
5. Substitute taught part time for 3 years in a middle school.
6. Am working on getting my Middle School certification in Social Studies, possibly ESL as well. Would like to obtain a Master's Degree in School Administration in the future as well as a Master's in History (or some related field).
7. Thinking about getting AP certified as well. (I want to make myself very marketable.)

My Preferences:

1. Ideally would like to be in Latin America. Would also consider parts of Europe, Asia, and Africa.
2. Would like to be in or very near a major city (500,000 people +) (the bigger the better, as I'm a city guy at heart).
3. It would be a major PLUS to be in a city with a public metro/train system. I would like the option of not having to rely on a car all the time (not a possibility in the States).

My Questions for You:

1. Are there any schools (preferably Latin America) that pay a starting salary of $30,000 tax free? [b](The more the better, as I would like to have some savings potential to buy a house, retire, and travel at least twice a year).[/b]
2. Schools that provide decent housing (not shared) or a housing allowance?
3. How easy/difficult is it to advance in your educational career internationally (I would eventually like to become a vice principal or principal way down the road)?
4. Schools that offer Master's degree programs for teachers?
5. Schools that allow pets in housing quarters? If not, I would like to use a housing allowance to find a place that does allow pets.
6. Is it difficult to bring pets with you to your new country? (Not being able to bring a pet with me could be a deal breaker.)
7. Schools that provide health insurance, dental plans, etc.?
8. Schools that have a great staff and positive educational atmosphere that is conducive to learning? (i.e. a joy to work there)
9. Is it possible to get hired without IB training? I wouldn't mind teaching IB by any means, however, I've heard that you have to teach at an IB school in order to get the training.
10. I've read that it may be more difficult for Social Studies teachers to get hired as opposed to English, Math, Science teachers. Are there more jobs in the middle school or high school Social Studies arena?
[b]
*Although it may sound like I'm a difficult person to please, I'm really not. I just want to have some financial stability and be able to enjoy living and doing what I love to do (teach Social Studies to kids). I didn't go into teaching for the money, but would like to live semi-comfortably at least. (I don't want to go back to the college-living days of eating ramen noodles). I know of several people who have taught overseas. All have had positive experiences.[/b]

[b]
Am Very Anxious to Hear About the Following Schools/Areas:[/b] Would like to know if there are any schools you think would be a good fit for me based on what you've read?

1. Lincoln School (Buenos Aires, Argentina) (I've read there is a certain leader who is not ideal to work with there).
2. Nido de Aguilas (Santiago, Chile)
3. Colegio FDR (Lima, Peru)
4. Escuela Internacional Sampedrana (San Pedro Sula, Honduras)
5. American School of Honduras (Tegucigalpa)
6. American School of Guatemala (Guatemala City)
7. American School of El Salvador (San Salvador)
8. American School Foundation, A.C. (Mexico City)
9. Uruguayan American School
10. Other South American Schools that I haven't mentioned (preferably Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Paraguay).
11. Other Central American Schools that I haven't mentioned (Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua)
12. Europe (preferably Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, France, Switzerland in that order).
13. Africa (preferably South Africa--very interested in the cultural dynamics there--had a good friend from there who said it was wonderful).
14. Middle East (preferably Dubai, wouldn't mind Beirut. Definitely NO PALESTINE!)
15. Asia (preferably Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok).

Thank you so much for any response! I look forward to reading lots of information! Again, I don't plan to go overseas in the next year--at least two years down the road. I do plan on going to a job fair conference (I've read that's the easiest way to get jobs in addition to contacting schools via email).
HistoryEducator

Hi PsyGuy,

Thanks for responding so quickly! Sorry about my long, torturous post. Sounds like teaching internationally may be a bummer for me.

I know my resume is not that exciting, but I'm just beginning my career. Do you suggest it would be easier for me to find a job if I had 10 years of teaching experience? 5 years? Would it really make that much of a difference? According to you, it seems like the international teaching field is looking for more "experienced" candidates as opposed to "entry level" candidates.

Although I wouldn't mind taking a job at a school that pays $22,000 tax free per year, I want to be able to afford a decent place (decent in my opinion means at least 1 bedroom, small kitchen, small living room, toilet, shower, and in a safe area--I don't want to feel like I'm camping outdoors in other words. I don't really care about a yard. :) And bottom line, I don't want to struggle to pay my bills.

I would love to teach IB, however, the problem part for me is getting the opportunity to teach IB. According to you, it sounds like not many schools are willing to hire people with no-IB training. I have researched online and apparently you cannot get any IB training unless you teach or are willing to teach at an IB school. Weird? Apparently, it's not like AP where you can seek out AP training and pay for the training in order to obtain it. I guess I would have to teach at an IB school in the States before I could even have a chance at international teaching. IB schools in the States are few and far between by the way.

Although I would really love to be in South America at least for a few years (Buenos Aires and Santiago would be my top picks), I wouldn't mind being elsewhere. I actually know of a couple who just moved to teach in Dubai after teaching in Egypt first. Again, I realize Dubai is not ideal for young single men but I'm willing to sacrifice 2 years to get good experience. I don't really want to settle down until my 30's (at least).

Would you consider the following schools tier 1?

1. Escuela Internacional Sampedrana (San Pedro Sula, Honduras)
2. Escuela Americana (San Salvador, El Salvador)
3. American School Foundation, A.C. (Mexico City)

Can you name any schools that I would have a shot in ______ at? :)
What would you recommend me doing in order to build my credentials other than getting more experience teaching?

Thanks!
HistoryEducator

Thanks again PsyGuy!

I realize that I don't have the experience yet (as far as years taught). I will in another 2-3 years (at least for the Tier 2 schools).

You are so right that inner city teaching does not provide much "teaching" experience but more behavior and discipline experience. That is one reason I chose to leave the inner city job after finishing up the year. I didn't see any room for growth as far as teaching goes.

I understand that living in downtown areas of big cities will cost more. I would prefer to live on the outskirts (in more residential areas) due to the cheaper factor and commute to school for work. A one hour commute would not bother me in the least. I have done it before.

Thanks for the IB link. I will most definitely look into getting the IB training ASAP. And yes, the Middle East doesn't seem to fit with my "live and let live" liberal attitude, but again, I would be willing to sacrifice a few years if it meant big money.

My biggest questions now are:
1. How would I know what schools are Tier 2? Tier 3?
2. Joking aside, do those schools even pay enough to survive? I could sacrifice a couple of years if it meant that I would be able to advance to a better school. I also would like to be able to put some money into retirement.

Thanks!
HistoryEducator

Do you know the average pay roughly in Latin American international schools? I guess I'm frustrated the most because I thought I would surely have a better chance at finding a decent job in Latin America due to the fact that everyone seems to want to go to Europe/Asia instead. I also assume that the job market for international teachers has gotten tougher due to the world economy. Getting a semi-decent teaching position in the United States right now is near IMPOSSIBLE! It would be easier to get a "job" if one wanted to teach in areas like Detroit, South Side Chicago, South Bronx--I'm sure you get my point.

Quite frankly, I can't see myself teaching in a rural, remote area of Mexico or any part of rural Latin America for that matter. Although most of my family as well as myself are from rural backgrounds I much prefer the city/suburb life. I've lived in both rural and urban areas and much prefer urban. I don't want to feel like I've gone back 100 years in time.

I don't really spend that much money. I never go on shopping sprees, buy lots of clothes, electronic gadgets, etc. The money that I do save either stays in savings or used for traveling at least twice a year (doesn't always have to be international travel). My lifestyle and standards aren't extravagant by any means, but again, I'd like to have some retirement and be able to purchase a condo/house/apartment at some point in my life. I don't think that's too much to ask.
overseasvet2

moving with pets

Post by overseasvet2 »

I'd like to chime in on the pet issue. We acquired a pet at our first post and moved with her to three additional countries in three different regions of the world. It was a bit of a hassle and sometimes expensive but never an issue. All of the foreign hires coming in this year had pets. A non-issue for housing and traveling. A different couple we know moved with their cat from the US to South America to China to Thailand to the Middle East and back to the US. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough.
overseasvet2

Pet blog

Post by overseasvet2 »

Just realized this site has a blog in place about traveling with pets. You can find it at:
http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... /#comments
HistoryEducator

Wow thanks for the tons of information!

@overseasvet2: I would really like to bring my pet(s) with me if I do in fact decide to go overseas. Living without them would be torture. Did it in college for 4 years...don't want to do it again. These people that you are talking about...did they move their animals with them in furnished housing by the school or did they have to find their own apartments/houses because the school wouldn't allow pets in their homes they provided? I would definitely be willing to spend the money that it takes to bring my pet(s) along.

@PsyGuy: Thanks again!

Escuela Internacional Sampedrana looks doable for me...especially since it's very close (within a 15-20 min. drive from my family's village). I would be willing to sacrifice myself with the low pay IF they A) provided housing or a housing allowance and B) if the pay went up significantly the more experienced (years taught) I would become. All this to be closer to my family.

I would really like to live in Mexico City at some point in my life, however, with those salaries ($18K & 20K) I would be severely limited to the amount I could save (if any) and the amount I could use to travel. I recently just got back from Mexico City about a month ago and the prices there are very similar to where I live in the United States...in some places MORE EXPENSIVE! Living on that budget may be doable if they do in fact provide housing and/or a housing allowance (I would rather have this). Again, like the Sampedrana school, I would like to be able to advance significantly in pay if I stayed there.

I'm definitely interested in the Guadalajara school as well as the Monterrey school (maybe Puerto Vallarta). I've read too many bad experiences with teachers who have taught at the Torreon school.

The Tegucigalpa & Pachuca school salaries are laughable and downright insulting towards teachers. There is NO way I'd be able to live on that meager amount of money. I'd feel like I'd be living in almost third world conditions.

Do you know any info about the following schools:

1. American School of Tegucigalpa
2. American School in Guatemala City
3. American School in San Salvador, El Salvador (I know of TWO people who worked here...both loved it from what I heard--one was hired through a job fair the other was hired via phone interview after she had inquired via email about the position. Both taught Phys. Ed.).
4. American School in Managua
tellyrules

Post by tellyrules »

I just wanted to reply and say thanks for all the information posted. It was very helpful, as I am also interested in Latin America.