Who's been to a couple of SEARCH fairs and can help me out?

musings28

Who's been to a couple of SEARCH fairs and can help me out?

Post by musings28 »

Ok, so for those people who haven't read my countless language teaching associated posts (hehehe sorry if I have been a pain, but this forum is gold for getting my questions answered...thanks guys!), I am a French teacher in Canada (gonna start my 4th year this year).

I'm looking into teaching French in Europe...does anybody remember seeing enough language teaching openings during a fair? I'm just wondering how few/many language jobs for Europe there would be (I'm guessing not that many, since I'm narrowing my options here...it's not like I am a primary teacher, for example).

I spoke with a Queen's University Fair Rep. and she said that last year, for her fair, there was only the International School of Luxembourg that was looking for French teachers (2 jobs were available). There were around 15 jobs or so available for French teachers, if one was looking to teach in the Middle East (sorry...not for me, although I know one can't be choosy. I just want to be close to my German family again).

Wonder how many SEARCH would have...anybody recall seeing anything at all for language teachers looking to work in Europe? Just wondering what I can expect...

Man, anywhere in Europe would be fine with me! I just want to teach French in an area that is closer to my German relatives...thank goodness I still have my EU passport!

Any info for me?

Merci beaucoup :)
musings28

Hi Psyguy

Post by musings28 »

Hmmm...that's not as bad as I expected. You're right too, there are many positions not even advertised on SEARCH sometimes, and you find them on the school's websites.

Aside from my French qualifications, I have Senior English credentials as well, although I have never taught English Litterature in the past...wonder if that would help. I took a course for this about a year ago.

Thanks for the input! :)
musings28

...another thing

Post by musings28 »

I guess the numbers aren't that great, but I am hoping that my 4 languages and EU passport somehow push me ahead of the crowd...wonder what the numbers will be like at the next Cambridge Fair...
southeast asia

French teachers

Post by southeast asia »

Hi,

I don't know how much help this is, but I was at the London January fair last time I searched for a job 2 years ago. My friend is a French teacher and there were only 3 jobs for French going at that fair specifically. I would write to every school you are interested in first.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Hi southeast asi, thank you for the advice. I will definitely start contacting schools in the next few weeks and months...thinking that most directors should know by december or so if they will need a French teacher for next year (or for another language).

Thank you again.