Working as an intern?

danamu

Working as an intern?

Post by danamu »

Hello. I am curious to know if anyone here has worked as an intern at an international school.

I am in the process of completing my teaching certification (hybrid program- now in the distance portion). I realize that without a certification in hand my prospects will be severely limited.

That being said, I have been accepted by Search and am hoping my other qualifications will help me out (B.A., M.A., 4+ years experience teaching abroad).

Because I will be facing slim pickings, I am also interested in intern opportunities. Here are a few questions that come to mind:
-What are interns typically responsible for? Do they teach their own classes? Do they mostly function as a teaching assistant (preparing materials and what not)?
-What is the salary like? Could I expect to receive something at the lower end of the pay scale, or are interns usually on their own pay scale? (I really have no clue- and most schools don't make it clear)

Any of you that have experience as an intern, or working with an intern, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
danamu

Post by danamu »

Thanks for the advice so far, it's really helpful.

@PsyGuy- Does ESL experience not count if I am looking for ESL positions? I understand it may not be as highly regarded as international school experience, but it ought to count for something. Also, I've seen a good handful of internship opportunities advertised, hence the reason for me asking about internships.

Ichiro- Great to hear about ISB. You mentioned that interns get teacher housing and return airfare- but what about pay? Do they have a stipend or a salary on the lower end of the scale? My biggest concern about internships is that I might go into an interview with one expectation (stipend) and the school might have another idea altogether (benefits, but no stipend). Unfortunately, I really can't afford to work with no stipend or salary.

Does anyone have more information about DoD schools? Or about international schools with good internship programs?

Thanks again!