Say it ain't so...(gulp)

musings28

Say it ain't so...(gulp)

Post by musings28 »

Well, I have no idea what to think about my international teaching chances now. I don't know...maybe somebody can help shed some light on this.

If you have read some of my previous posts, you would have seen that I am fluent in 4 languages and have been teaching French in Canada for the past 3 years. My 2 Bachelors are in English Litterature (yeah, back then I had no idea I was going to go into teaching languages) and Education, and I have taken a few AQ courses (additional qualification) courses in order to be able to teach French.

I just recently tried registering with Teachanywhere.com and my application got rejected. I had explained to them that I was looking at teaching languages internationally (preferably Europe, because all my family lives there and I have a German passport). Here is what they told me:

[i]Teachanywhere has a very strict criteria applicable to applicants in order to fulfill the requirements of our International schools/clients and not everyone who applies to teach through us is successful. [/i]

[i]Unfortunately our clients require your Education degree, first degree and teaching experience must match. This is related to various ministries across the world issuing visa's and the criteria unfortunately is often very strict.[/i]

[i]In order to teach French - you would need to have a Secondary school teaching qualification and your original degree would also need to be in French (For secondary school teaching all degrees must match in subject area)[/i]

[i]With the teaching experience you have - it is unlikely we would be able to assist you with the schools whom we are partnered with - hence we let you know we would be unable to assist you and suggested alternative routes to achieve an international posting. [/i]

[i]I hope this makes things a little clearer for you. Wishing you all the best for the future.[/i]

Ok...so am I screwed? I would love to teach languages in Europe, but it looks to me like I need to have a Bachelor's in French or another language...I am open to teaching languages in Elementary as well. Can't my AQ courses help me, somehow? Should I take the Langue B Category 1 IB courses to help me?

I'm just at a loss as to what to do. They accepted my application at Search, but am wondering if this was a waste of money now...

What do you guys think? This is not a nice way to start the day, when you get an email like that :(
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
musings28

Thanks ichiro

Post by musings28 »

Thank you for such a quick reply,

Yes, I have good teaching credentials. Although I have only taught French in public elementary schools for the past 3 years (also have a TEFL degree and taught German and English in the past in Spain) I have Canadian credentials that allow me to teach in all divisions (from primary to secondary).

Currently I am teaching French from grades 5-8 (and could technically also teach high school French...at least here in Canada!).

Yes, SEARCH accepted my application and I am a registered candidate with them...that's why I was so confused when Teachanywhere.com rejected me, saying I needed a Bachelor's degree in French. Is this the case for somebody like me, even though I speak perfect French and know it inside out? Hoping European schools don't think this way, I don't need a visa anyway to work there!

I have no idea what kinds of schools/teachers Teachanywhere.com have, but looking at their website more closely I see that they barely have any European openings...seems like they cater more to the middle east and asia.

I'm feeling a bit better about this, thanks ichiro...although some additional thoughts from other members would be welcome, too. Any other opinions, advice?

Thanks guys, I am very happy we are all helping each other out...thank goodness for this forum and website!
indogal

Post by indogal »

I agree with ichiro. I have never heard of teach anywhere, but Search is quite reputable. You did not mention all the languages you are fluent in, but I would imagine that being fluent in more than one foreign language would make you quite marketable and perhaps even more appealing to smaller schools who want to offer a variety of languages, but do not have the resources to hire several teachers.

I have always been very lucky to get excellent jobs with Search. It is expensive to attend the job fairs, but I more than recouped that cost in the positions I found through them.

Good luck!
musings28

Thank you everyone

Post by musings28 »

Thanks for making me feel better, everyone. I have my heart so set on this that it broke my heart to get that rejection this morning...(I know, rejection is part of this whole process, I'll live!)

Yes, Psyguy, I am also looking at positions through joyjobs and tieonline (joyjobs so far has been giving many more European openings). I know it is not the time of year to be looking at job openings, especially since I would only be able to work overseas starting summer 2012, but I look everyday just to get an idea of what is being offered.

I don't know why, maybe it's because I know he's had a bunch of experience, but Psyguy's answers always calm me down the most (but of course, I REALLY appreciate other's opinions, too...thanks again guys!)

Once again, I am very glad this forum exists! I would love to provide more advice myself to other newbies, but I have never taught at an International School before (only public schools here in Canada and language schools in Spain) and can therefore not give too much advice...but I will when I can (I check this site every day, pretty much) :)
musings28

Post by musings28 »

...oh, good to know! I had looked at their own personal websites a few months ago, but somehow forgot to check those again (I guess when you get into the habit of checking SEARCH and sites like joyjobs, that happens).

I will definitely keep an eye out on the school's websites!

Thank you for the reminder :)
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
musings28

Thank you Ichiro!

Post by musings28 »

A million thanks for that last comment, Ichiro.

I will definitely let you all know what happens to me...although I think that will take at least a couple of months, hehe, since positions for August/September 2012 will only become available starting Dec/Jan or so...

Good luck to all out there, and thanks again everyone :)

Like I said, I peek in here everyday and if I see a question that I can answer, I will!
southeast asia

job search

Post by southeast asia »

I agree, I think the best thing you can do is go through Search and meanwhile look at school websites directly and write to them directly. Your references and CV make a difference. A CV that stands out (use boxes), good references as well as being on Search may get you a job between now and December. Looking into everything now to see what is out there is a smart thing to do and in a few more weeks you can really start the job search full on.

I agree with you, this forum is fantastic!
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Yup, I've already got a boxed resume!

All I need is: a little bit of luck, a little bit of applying at the right time, and a little bit of CV goodness to help get me into a good school...that's not asking for a lot, right ;)

Hehe...