American College of Education graduate programs?

Open Communication

American College of Education graduate programs?

Post by Open Communication »

I am thinking of registering for the Masters of Educational Technology at the American College of Education. Total cost comes under $7000 US. All done online and completed in 18 months. The profile at Wiki looks okay. Any info on American College of Education?
Open Communication

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

ACE

Post by JISAlum »

I just finished my MEd at ACE- primarily to gain Type 75 Admin Endorsement in the State of IL. My tuition was paid for by the district I work at- total cost to me was $4750- but it's since risen. I have since passed the IL-Cert Test 186 and achieved my Admin Cert.

ACE was affiliated with Barat College in Lake Forest- a suburb of Chicago a while back. However it since split- and achieved accreditation through that relationship. Arne Duncan, while head of Chicago Public School established ACE as one of CPS's main tool to provide leadership training to both teachers and potential Principals.

It is seen as a viable and legitimate option in the Chicago area. In class I had many students from around the country- both teachers, nurses and future Admin's.

It took me 18 months to complete the program, including my internship.

As with any online program, you get what you put into it. It was very convenient for me, and I am already in an Administrative position. Plus it was free to me. Instruction varied, as with any school. The workload consisted of at least one paper and one test per week. Plus an internship project per class. Workload wasn't onerous, but if you fell behind, it was some work to catch up.

If you need any more info, please let me know.
Open Communication

Thanks JISAlum and PsyGuy.
I basically want the piece of paper for better work prospects, salary and HOPEFULLY I will be a better teacher in the classroom.
When I finish the M IT I may start their M Educational Leadership. There I really hope to learn useful skills for when I venture into administration.
I really wonder how much employers look at which institution a prospective employee graduated from, especially in education. Unless you graduated from Harvard or Princeton would it really make a difference if you graduated from ACE or Walden or Concordia?
Also, I have looked into Masters degrees that are recommended and somehow tied to the IBO. I would think that would be very marketable but I wonder about the cost and the quality judging by the workshops IBO offers which I mentioned in a previous posting.
SKMNVMAH

Another school option

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Have you looked at Jones International?, they are accredited in Colorado and it is 100% online. Two papers per week and participation in discussions. Each class runs for 8 weeks-- very good for those with shorter attention spans.
Open Communication

Thanks SKMNVMAH. I will check that out.
PsyGuy, does that mean you think most admin would think all online Masters are not good quality? I think many people do online degrees in all sorts of fields, especially if they are older. It just makes good economic sense to keep working as you study. I think this started with executive MBS programs.
I wonder if there are online Masters in Education given at any not-for-profit institutions.