Can a School Keep Your Money if You Don't Return

joethelion

Can a School Keep Your Money if You Don't Return

Post by joethelion »

This is something new I am not understanding. We teachers at International School of Myanmar are told now that we leave one month salary with the school over the summer. If we do not return for second year of contract, the school keeps the one month salary.

I have never hear of this before. Does other schools do this? Is it legal? I think it probably is not.

What can we do?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

It depend, I think, Icharo. The add to the handbook just says International School of Myanmar keeps your money for a month if you don't return for a contract. But it does not seem to matter. If an old teacher has a heart attack and can't return--the school gets to keep a full month from the last year. Or if we can't get a visa which is a real problem in Myanmar it means the school keeps our money?

Yes, it is difficult for the schools if someone don't come back. But we already worked for last year. I don't think it legal to keep our money. Also, I never hear of this before.

[quote="ichiro"]Dear joethelion,

You'll have to be a little more specific. When you say, "If we do not return for second year of contract" do you mean that you'd be breaking a two year contract by leaving after one year?" If so, then yes, this might seem a little shaddy, but what other recourse do you leave the school? It is expensive to recruit and bring teachers overseas. The one month "hold" is to help the school cover costs of finding a replacement--and one month's salary is a small drop in the bucket of doing so. Again, you don't mention specifics, but if you do a mid-contract runner, your school might be stuck with unpaid utilities, rent, phone bills, etc. All things considered, if you flee, forgoing one month's salary will be the least of your worries...[/quote]
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

Possible, Icharo. Only the "last month" pay is the pay from the last month already worked and not from the next year worked.

I don't know any job where you work your 40 hours, but don't show up next week and they keep your last weeks money.

Yes, it is hard for school if you don't come back. But still--you already finished year one of the contract. So how do they pay you 90% of what you work for?

Anyhow, this is what International School Myanmar does now. If people like it, they should work there. If not, they shouldnot.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

But aslo Icharo--you say there are no specifics, but the school dosn't give specifics. Maybe you trust them if you have a heart attack and do not return. Or maybe they keep it anyway.

You think it is hard to get teachers in Myanmar? Yes. But try to get money that is owed to you from Myanmar!