Breaking into International Administration

Fast

Breaking into International Administration

Post by Fast »

I am currently an international school teacher, and I am pursuing my certificate in educational administration online through a US University. I also held a teacher/administrator post at my last job in the US and will be taking on some administrative responsibilities at my current school this coming year, so I have done a good amount of work to build my qualification.

Do any of you have strategies for breaking into the field? I have looked into the Search Associates fair for administrative candidates this October in Bangkok, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the cost. I naturally plan on sending my CV out to several schools at the beginning of this year.

I think that my best move is to try to get an administrative post at a school other than my own, because it doesn't seem that there will be any openings in administration next year, and there are a few other teachers who are in line for the future administrative posts at my current school.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I am roughly in the same situation as you. I am presently working on an MA in school leadership online and have served as a teacher trainer/leader/coordinator in the past. I am working through Bath University in the UK - which uni are you working with?

A former boss suggested that once I've completed my qualifications I take a look at less established schools or what many international educators consider to be Tier 2. It's difficult to establish which schools to look at but he suggested certain schools in Latin America and smaller schools in Asia. I haven't actually begun this process but it seems like a decent starting point.
overseasvet2

getting started in admin

Post by overseasvet2 »

I have to disagree with PsyGuy. IB experience is always a plus but not imperative. The key thing is to take on as many responsibilities as possible and get a "title" at the first opportunity. One of our teachers talked the school into changing his job title from Middle School Coordinator to Secondary Ass't Principal. He will be better poised to look for principal posts when he leaves. To go straight to an admin job it's probably best to look at smaller schools and less desirable posts; another option is to go to a very large school and to move your way up to a reasonable post and title. Also, network, network, network. PTC courses, while expensive, are great for this. Good luck!