Why is the wheel re/invented again and again?...

lostboy

Why is the wheel re/invented again and again?...

Post by lostboy »

Why is it so many schools seem to have to start over? I have been to a few schools and every one is either re/writing the curriculum or reinventing the wheel some way or another. Is there simply a school out there that is functioning just fine, with a staff coming in and doing their jobs well, without having to polish the bosses boots, or redress the front window, in order to keep up an impression, that they are striving to be the best school, for the money? Maybe its a mistake to think a private school could be anything more than some new turf to be turned by the next administrator looking to stroke their ego, or make a name. Anyone got any advice for someone who wants to teach, not promote? Its not for the money, its for those magic moments when some kid looks up, because they got it. 8)
Been There, Done That

Re-writing Curriculum and other "window dressing"

Post by Been There, Done That »

Wow! I'm a bit shocked by this question. The process of educating children is always under revision. We are always learning about how kids themselves learn, how to differentiate, and how to "reach" them in new ways. Curriculum is much the same - we bring a new approach and update the materials for changes in science and history. I wouldn't want to work at a school that remained constant year after year. And I wouldn't want to send MY kids there.

Perhaps you are tired for some reason. Think about taking a year off and do something out of character - travel in Asia, spend a year on the beach, work for the Peace Corps. Maybe you'll feel differently when you return to teaching.
In agreement

"Re-inventing the wheel"

Post by In agreement »

Most curriculum coordinators (as well as other support staff) in international schools are completely useless and simply get in the way of teachers who work in their subject area and the students they teach.

I cannot tell you how many totally ridiculous presentations I have endured by curriculum coordinators or other such personnel who have not spent any time in the classroom and could not teach to save their own skin.

I am in full agreement that we could do better if we let the teachers teach and remember that the role of administrators is to support that endeavor. Education has far too much BS and this is what many teachers are tired from!