IBO Workshops :( Not worth the money

Open Communication

IBO Workshops :( Not worth the money

Post by Open Communication »

I attended the IBO workshop in Toronto summer 2011. It was for PYP/MYP/DP at Level 2 and 3 IT. Held over 3 days. It cost $850. It was not worth the money. It was worth maybe $100. But really, the only worth is now having attended it on my CV.
There were guest lecturers describing what Inquiry was: you could sum up their entire monologues with the word: vague.
The lectures on technology were topical, what I learned I could have read on the back of a box of software they had installed on their computers. Were were supposed to be trained on Smartboards but most of the boards there were Prometheum.

I also attended another one of their introductory workshops some years ago. That was even worse.

When I think of IBO I think of Church of Scientology meets Herbalife. It's similar to a pyramid scheme in my opinion. The most useful product IBO sells is their tie-clips emblazoned with their company logo.

I have attended workshops provided by other organizations. Much better, but I won't mention them as I am not here to plug any organization.

But IBO, get it together or you will be as well-thought-of in the field of education as Microsoft now is in the field of software.
Last edited by Open Communication on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast

Post by Fast »

I went to a subject specific IB fair for the DP Program earlier this year, and it was very informative, and very useful. There was a great deal of subject specific material we went over, and I now feel comfortable bringing the kids through their two years in my subject.

At the DP level, I'd definitely recommend these workshops, but then again, my school paid for it.