Another non-teaching spouse question...

brett

Another non-teaching spouse question...

Post by brett »

My wife has been teaching first grade at a title one school for 6 years. She has her ESL, Math, and Reading endorsements. I have a BFA in Graphic Design and have been working as a designer for a couple of years. As I have read many of the previous posts, I understand that we are at a real disadvantage because I am not a teacher.

However, I am yet to see a well built website for any of these schools. Does anyone think it would help our chances that I could build the school a great website, and even help with advertising and marketing?
Thanks,

Brett
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I agree with you on the fact that many international schools have mediocre to crappy websites. I'm not sure as to why since I'm pretty sure that the Board can afford someone to design their website for peanuts ( or if not, I'm pretty sure that the exorbitant tuition fee per child should be able to cover the web developer's fee ).

You can definitely play up that angle that you have something interesting to offer them ( most schools would take this opportunity ), but you have to consider the following :

- Are you willing to get paid in peanuts? ( I'm pretty sure that the school can afford a web developer or designer. Since they know that you are desperate to be with your teaching spouse, they can use this to their advantage. In fact, they would most likely think that THEY are doing you the favour. If you're fine with this, then market away ).

- Are you willing to get extra responsibilities? ( I think that if you're computer savvy, a school that is not up to par to modern tech. standards would love for you to take on additional responsibilities for a very small salary. You could end up being the IT department. )

If these things don't matter as much ( obviously, being with your spouse is the most important thing ), then you might just have a good chance in doing something for the school.

Good luck!

I often wonder how other non-teaching spouses dealt with such issues.
brett

Post by brett »

Thank you for your input. Honestly, I am willing to work for peanuts just so we can have the experience. I work online, and will still be making a salary. If we were to get offered one of the destinations we were really hoping for, I would do it for free. At the end of the day I just don't want to be the reason why we couldn't live abroad.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I wouldn't worry about it too much. With 6 years exp, your wife will have plenty of options. You can work online and have your own income, so it's not much of an issue. If a school will not hire your wife solely because she isn't married to a teacher, then you don't want to work for that school anyway.
brett

Post by brett »

Very valid point. My wife is a wonderful teacher, and you're absolutely right that she is marketable by herself. I just hope that she doesn't get overlooked because of me. Any school would be lucky to have such a dedicated teacher. Thank you for your input.