Teaching job market holocaust in the U.S.

mrwright

Teaching job market holocaust in the U.S.

Post by mrwright »

Sorry for the hyperbole, but its not too much of an exageration. Almost every state is firing teachers, including science and math. I can only assume that this has affected the international market as well. Has the availablility of jobs at int'l schools drastically dropped in the last few years, or even months? I also assume that many of these teachers have turned to testing the international waters. Has this, if true, saturated the market? Thoughts?
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

The job market in the UK also mirrors that of the US at the moment so it's not just an exodus from the US. I think Canada is having similar problems.
mrwright

Post by mrwright »

Not encouraging. :(
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

I'm now in the Chicago area of the US. The job market is indeed very gloomy. We just opened up a position due to increased enrollment and had 170 applicants in two hours.

However in talking to people looking for teaching jobs, I don't think many consider relocating to pursue teaching- or that my opinion. The option of taking a job in outside of this geographic area is still not widely considered by many. Even going to surrounding states where is might be more rural, but at least be able to teach is seen by many as not an option.

I'm sure there are those that will consider it, but I'm not hearing anyone mention it. On the flip side, many teachers I know are hunkering down and not even looking for a another job.