UAE 3 year teaching contract?

beccael

UAE 3 year teaching contract?

Post by beccael »

Hi
I am new to international teaching and I am about to recieve an initial contract from a school in UAE - Abu Dhabi actually. The job looks great, good benefits etc. The only thing that puts me off is the three year contract and while it is good to have a three year contract for family stability etc. I would really hate to get stuck somewhere and unable to get out of a contract. So, my question is - what is everyone's experience with contracts etc. Has anyone who teaches in UAE ever broken one? What were the consequences? Perhaps sb could advise who/where I can ask for advice on legal issues/queries before I accpet an offer?

Also, has anyone gone through the notarisation/attestation procedure for the UAE?

Any advice really appreciated.

Beccael
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I would have to agree with PsyGuy above. I actually had to read your post again and scratched my head saying, " Three years?! Well that's rare ". All schools offer 2-year contracts and if you go onto job websites or fairs, the Heads usually state out of protocol in hiring, " We seek people with 2 years' worth of consecutive experience ( i.e. 2 years at the same school of course ) ". I am not saying that the 3-year contract is impossible or dodgy, but the fact that they want to keep you for a long time even before knowing you, your work ethic, professional contribution etc, THEY are willing to take a chance. Couple that with a "good salary" package, then you might have to wonder if it's a " hardship " package.
beccael

Post by beccael »

Thanks Psyguy and Zsejanko for your replies. Yes, it does make you wonder. I don't have the finer details of the contract yet but once I do I will let you know.

With regard the birth certificates etc. I am referring to the attestation process. I guess it is for minors and the notarisation perhaps a) proves they are your children and b) proves it is an official document. Does anyone know? As info regarding this seems quite thin on the ground.

Thanks again!