Thinking of Making the Leap

UM2001

Thinking of Making the Leap

Post by UM2001 »

I know that there are a number of posts with the same types of questions, but am hoping to gain some much needed advice. Both my wife and I are experienced teachers looking to make the leap into the international circuit in the next year or two.

I am currently an IB Coordinator (DP and MYP) and have experience teaching history/social studies at both levels. I have professional licenses in History and Administration. I would be open to either administration or teaching (or a combination). My wife is an MYP/DP math teacher with experience in both middle school and high school. She, too, has a professional license in math and has written curriculum. Both of us are reasonably fluent in Spanish. We have one son, who would be in pre-school/kinder at the time of our move and would jump at the chance to teach at the same school our son went to.

My questions: What would be our chances at landing at a reputable school? While we have realistic expectations, we would ideally like to have a comfortable (not extravagant by any means) lifestyle. I have looked into both ISS and SEARCH and am wondering one might be better than the other for people in our situation. Lastly, we are open to many part of the world, but generally speaking, what areas might be better for both lifestyle and savings potential?