How have you kept US teaching license current?

nextfriday99

How have you kept US teaching license current?

Post by nextfriday99 »

Hello everyone,

This question is for American teachers with a current teaching license. So, how have you kept your license current? I am from Michigan and it is proving to be more than a hassle to keep my license without taking classes at "approved teacher preparation" programs in the US. This is true for most states that have a 2 tier licensure plan (temporary and more permanent). I have my intitial (temporary valid for 5 years). I am looking to change my license to a state that may have rules that are more favorable to international teachers. Has anyone found any loopholes that are favorable to international teachers?

Thanks for any advice,
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I have an AZ cert. I called them last year to ask about the professional growth I have earned in my three years overseas. They said as long as the workshops were sponsored by an accredited school, they would be accepted for cert renewal. My current school is accredited by a U.S. agency.

There are tons of online classes you can take. I even took two through University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA) that took advantage of my travel experiences.
overseasvet2

maintaining certification

Post by overseasvet2 »

It seems like Michigan may be like Iowa. Have renewed certificate 3 times while overseas. The 5 years can really slip away...take advantage of all college credit opportunities at conferences and in house PD. Online courses and summer PD opportunities at home also help. Do you know how much you need and how often?
nextfriday99

Post by nextfriday99 »

It is possible to keep certification current by doing online courses, but I am simply not interested in any of the programs that are "approved" by the departments of ed. I am looking for states with loopholes which would allow me to renew it's state license without any requirements. I also need as few difficulties as possible when transferring the credential (i.e additional tests for that particular state). Hopefully I can do this in a summer (transfer to a new state license) and be rid of Michigan requirements for further education which continue with each renewal or license upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I want to further my education and have found excellent masters programs for international educators but they are simply not accepted by any state in furthering licensing.

Thank for any help!
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

In Wisconsin, for teachers certified in 2004 or later, we have what's called a professional development plan. Initial educators have five years to complete it, then they are "professional"educators. Renewal of that I think is ten years on a new PDP. The benefit of this is the freedom to set you goals and choose a path to complete them. It requires a lot of reflection and writing, but not necessarily out of pocket expense.

I'm having to adress this issue as I am moving to Colombia after teaching three years in Wisconsin. Personally, I wish I was under the old system where all you had to do was take six credits of PD. I already have 12 credits above my masters and doing this PDP thing is a nuisance.

Greg
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Try checking out Washington and Colorado. These seem to be the most user-friendly states for international educators. I'm most likely going to transfer my certification to one of these states next summer.

While it is true that some states will allow you to renew your cert through online courses and/or PD, this will not work in all states.