No IB training...doomed?

musings28

No IB training...doomed?

Post by musings28 »

Is there anybody out there who went to a Search fair, or got a job offer through Search, and had no IB training?

Just wondering...I'm thinking this is gonna be tricky (gulp). What do you recommend, if the answer is negative?

Thanks guys
marlow

IB Training

Post by marlow »

My first job fair was at UNI in 2000; at the time I was a young teacher with no IB experience, and I was lucky enough to get a job at a good school. In the five years I was there I was able to be trained for two different courses on the school's dime. So yes, in my experience, it is possible, but I would also offer the caveat that job fairs were a lot different in 2000 than in 2012.

I think it's possible, but you might end up at a tier-2 school at first. Having said that, once you get IB experience, more doors are open. One possible avenue for you would be to pay for the training yourself and then place that certification on your resume. I've had friends who approached job fairs with that strategy, and it paid off.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

There are schools at SEARCH fairs who don't do IB anyway. If you are talking about getting into an IB school with no IB training, yes this is possible. Some schools will make you an offer that is contingent on you going through IB training (you pay) before arriving at the school. There are also schools who will train you at their expense. I agree with the other poster that it will probably not be a top tier IB school, but the experience may open up many doors.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I paid for the IB training myself. It was expensive, but worth it. IB schools wouldn't even look at me without it. I did not get hired at any of the SEARCH fairs but I did have a few interviews. The problem is that most schools want IB experience, not just training. Lots of times I would go up to the table and the principal would say "Sorry, but I'm under strict instructions not to interview anyone who doesn't have IB experience." Training just isn't good enough for most of the schools, unfortunately.

Once I had my IB training, I started applying to all the IB schools in countries I wanted to work. Most of Asia, a few in Europe, a few in South America. ibo.org has a list of all of them. I got a few interviews that way and eventually got hired by a school in China.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I went to a Search fair this year and was offered three job for IB positions without any IB training or experience. It is true that some schools won't look at you, but others will. I suppose it depends on what other candidates are out there. The school that I accepted a position with paid for my IB training.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Wow, so many different outcomes. I guess it really depends on the competition, too!

What is a 2-tier school, guys? What does that mean...level 2 quality, in terms of education, on a scale of 1 being the best? :P

How do you get trained for IB? I'm in Canada...is it only possible to get trained once you are hired by a particular school? Or can you do this in advance somehow on your own time?

Yes, I'm a newbie...can you tell? :)
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

You can take IB training before being hired by a school. IB allows individuals to register for on-line as well as "in person" workshops. I took advantage of this and believe it helped me secure a position at an IB school.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Gee, I don't know what to do. Sounds like it can be hit and miss. Since I am not looking to teach overseas until at least August 2012, I guess I have 1 year to see if I am capable of getting any interviews at all without IB experience.

I guess it depends on the individual and qualifications.

Thanks, guys.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Oh, just browsed through the online IB courses...

I'm a language teacher in Canada. If I wanted to teach English or French as a second language in an IB school would I need Language B and Langue B?

Or are there other courses for language teachers?

Thanks guys! :D
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I was hired at a Search fair this year. I have no IB experience and it is an IB school. I believe it would be considered a Tier 1 School. They said that they will send me to training during the year.
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I was offered three positions at three IB schools...and I don't have IB training or experience either. It might be due to the fact that I was educated at international schools under the IB program. However, it is possible. I am curious though as to how you get IB training ( pay for it yourself )? I know that it's not offered at many Universities.
musings28

Post by musings28 »

Been in touch with the IB.org people...

I think I am going to take MYP Language B (either that or Language B part 1). I am going to do an online course in the fall...the price isn't too bad, and if it can help me get into an IB school faster...then why not? If nothing else, I will learn A LOT about the IB program before entering an IB school!