Which school would you choose?

shopgirl

Which school would you choose?

Post by shopgirl »

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and wanted to throw this question out ther to see what other teachers think.

I've got a choice between two schools:
School 1: Absolutely lovely school atmosphere and the school's mission statement completely matches my educational philosophy. I've had two interviews and the interviewers were both very kind and inviting. Generally very good feedback from parents - from numerous reviews of the school (both first and second hand reviews) But the catch is low pay.. The teachers seem pretty happy but generally are at the school for the atmosphere and the school's mission statement than the pay
School 2: Atmosphere is not bad but not great either. General review from teachers is that the school has some administrative problems and are finally settling down a little bit but the residue of the previous years of admin muck ups seem to be still there. The upside - much better pay than the first school.

Which school would you choose? Your thoughts would be much appreciated. I am almost losing my sleep over this decision.
mantissa

Post by mantissa »

It depends on how low the salary of school 1 is. If you can still save a bit and live comfortably, than I would chose school 1. If you think you are going to struggle, I would chose school 2.
teacherlady

Post by teacherlady »

Depends on what you want out of it. If you need to save money or have bills / expenses, money may be what you want. If money is not a priority, go with the lower pay.

Money is not everything, unless it is your #1 priority. I have seen people with $$ in their eyes able to put up with a lot of garbage. Personally, it was not enough for me. I gave up the "big bucks" of a bad atmosphere school for a very low paying job at an okay school in a fabulously fun country with an amazing climate. After a few years with no savings to show for it, I need to now find a place where I can save some cash but not be miserable for it.

Everything is relative and all depends on what you need at this time.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

I assume you have compared the cost of living. Often, the lower paying school is in a country with a lower cost of living and the higher paying school is in a country with a higher cost of living. The savings potential at the lower paying school is often greater when cost of living is factored in.
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

The schools are both in the same country. The first school's salary is very low compared to other int'l schools in the same country. But the salary is still reasonable if I compare it to the local salary standards and I can live on it no problem as a single person.

My other concern was if I wanted to switch to a better paying school after two years, would that bring down my chances of getting a decent salary in the next school. Would they expect to pay me a lower salary than someone with similar experience and qualifications because my previous salary was so low?
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="shopgirl"]My other concern was if I wanted to switch to a better paying school after two years, would that bring down my chances of getting a decent salary in the next school. Would they expect to pay me a lower salary than someone with similar experience and qualifications because my previous salary was so low?[/quote]

I would think they other school might see you as a better candidate as you've already lived in the country and proven yourself at school they know. As long as you know what you're making, and believe in what your worth, what's to loose? Put your time in the lower paying school. Learn the country and get the experience. Then if you want, make the move over. There are many people who make the jump from a lower paying school to a higher tier destination.
redster

Post by redster »

Are both schools accredited? Is one a for prophet, or religious school? Is one a better "known" school outside the city? Is one IB? There is a reason the one school plays much less than the other. I think that if the schools are in the same city and the reviews are not brutal about the on, then I would take the higher paying, probably better known school. If your objective is to consider moving on in a few years then I would definitely take the higher paying school. I have been in the situation of low financial resources coupled with a school's admin changing leaving me stuck at a school that was not the one I had chosen or would choose.
Tundra_Creature

Post by Tundra_Creature »

If you can live fine off of the first school's salary and it has positive feedback, then I would choose it. You're single and don't seem to have any big debts.

My assumption is that is that any school that hires you offer have their own pay scale they would base your salary on rather than that of your previous employer. (I could be wrong though)