Beijing vs. Shanghai

jorbie

Beijing vs. Shanghai

Post by jorbie »

I will be working in Beijing (YCIS) for my next contract. I've been in China before, spending two years in Shanghai. Any thoughts on how the two cities compare? How does the cost of living match up? Is pollution worse in Beijing than Shanghai, or are they comparable? Which city is more fun?

Thoughts???????
stockingblue

Post by stockingblue »

I can't help you with this, but (sorry to slightly hijack) my family and I are off to Shanghai in August. Since you have experience there, do you have any words of wisdom for us? This will be our first international post.
NiuBi

Post by NiuBi »

SH is more modern and BJ is a bit disgusting. More of the "me" mentality in BJ. The world revolves around me. Dont expect me to move out of your way when I am walking. When the doors of the elevator open, who goes in first before anyone exits: ME! Dont forget about the cigarettes.

Some BJ reading. http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/Gener ... Discussion
marlow

Shanghai vs. Beijing

Post by marlow »

Pollution: Beijing is far, far worse. Shanghai air isn't the greatest, but depending on where you live in the city, it isn't that bad. Shanghai doesn't have the coal plant issues of Beijing, and while traffic does contribute to Shanghai's pollution, it is a coastal city and that helps blow the junk out of the air.

Culture: As long time China people have told me, "Beijing is more Chinese." There are a lot of interesting cultural things to do in Beijing, but the question is, how long will it be before those cultural things wear off? Some of the oldest buildings in Shanghai were actually built by the British. Shanghai does get a lot of good concerts, however, and has a budding art/performance scene.

Expat Life: Shanghai wins, hands down. There are a lot of expatriate people in Shanghai, and there is no shortage of things to do. Friends who have lived in Beijing complained about feeling too alienated (kind of a strange complaint living in a foreign country, if you ask me).

In the end, I think the pollution factor alone makes Shanghai better than Beijing, but some people feel Shanghai is too Western. I'm sure Beijing will give you more of a "Chinese Experience" to use terminology I've heard before. Good luck!