Master's of Ed but no cert...

ichiro

Post by ichiro »

This thread is crazy. I can't even imagine refuting or agreeing with anything other than to say I work at the top of the top tier in SE Asia and everybody is qualified to the gills...
inspiration

Re: Agree

Post by inspiration »

PsyGuy,

[quote="PsyGuy"]we probabley have a differing opinion on what constitutes a tier one school.[/quote]

I agree with you, PsyGuy, but I hope there is no argument in that a school sharing other applicants' background at an interview should not be called a tier one school.

Ichiro,

I have two questions.

1) You say "everybody", but do you mean everybody at your school or everybody that you know? If your answer is the former, how do you know it? I know some schools show all teachers' qualifications on the school website, but does your school do the same, or is there an in-house document to share everybody's background within your school?

2) You used the word, "qualified", but do you mean "certified"? "Qualified" doesn't necessarily mean "certified", and that's the core argument of this "crazy" thread.

I don't mean to split hairs, but I think it's important to know what exactly you mean, as you are working for "the top of the top tier", so your comments are valued.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

Good point. I haven't asked each of the 200+ teachers at the place what their CERTIFICATIONS are. I would venture to guess that a very small percentage do not have home country teaching creds--and a handful have PhDs. Vast majority have MAs either in education or a field of expertise. In my humble opinion, you'd have to be very special not to have a teaching certification to work at a good school (as in best of the best). That specialness could come from years of teaching and good references.

And as I've mentioned elsewhere on these message boards, I'm a lowly middle school language arts type (a dime a dozen, and I'm single no less), so from my perspective, certifications and degrees (and on-going PD and good references, etc., etc.--and in no small part, a bit of luck) are required to score a job at one of the very best. And probably a thought for a different thread is happiness at any given school. Thousands of kids and hundreds of teachers is wonderful, but so is a small school with a few hundred kids and a couple dozen teachers.
boethius

Post by boethius »

[quote="augustus"]Hi NiuBi...
You have some options regarding certification too....For example, Massachusetts has different types of certification. The provisional license is for people that have passed the state licensing exams (2 basics skills tests + subject matter test ) but have yet to complete student teaching.

--Gus[/quote]

Do you mean 'preliminary' license? 'Provisional' license is the one you receive for Adult Basic Education. Btw, can you take the MTEL while in another country?
dutchschultz

Post by dutchschultz »

States and people use different terminology to mean the same thing so the person who used "provisional" probably doesn't mean teaching adult skills.

In Virginia one may receive a provisional license, which is good for 3 years, so that they can teach at a public school and during that time complete the coursework for their license.

Another example is my friend who teaches in California uses the word "credientialed" whereas I use the term "certified."