Kenya or Trinidad?

jorbie

Kenya or Trinidad?

Post by jorbie »

I have two offers to decide between and could use any input you can give:

School #1 is International School of Kenya in Nairobi

School #2 is International School of Port of Spain in Trinidad

ISK offer is about 10 K more than ISPS, but ISPS provides a car, and ISK doesn't....

ISK is IB, ISPS is AP - I have experience with both....

I am a single 34 year old man that wouldn't mind finding a wife, either expat or local....but am definitely social and into the outdoors.

Any thoughts about either of these schools and/or countries?

Thanks!
scribe

Post by scribe »

With only experience in Kenya, so an obvious bias, I would recommend ISK. Taught there ten years ago, great country, wonderful students, and amazing families of those students. Some safety issues , but one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I have a friend in the foreign service who was just miserable in Trinidad. She has been in some pretty rough places and says that Trinidad was the worse by far. I have heard good things about ISK and would jump at the opportunity if it was given to me. Good luck!
jorbie

Post by jorbie »

Money isn't the issue...essentially when you factor in cost of living, the two packages are roughly the same. The car is necessary in Trinidad because of the distance to school and to get to the store, beach, etc.
It really boils down to which place is best to spend two(or more) years of life?
Also - Craig - do you know why your friend was so miserable in Trinidad? Was is social life? The weather is gorgeous - so it wasn't that. Now I am really curious...
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

A student at my school is from Trinidad and has mentioned on various occasions that the crime rate is extremely high there.
goinplaces

Post by goinplaces »

My husband did a 2-week mission in Trinidad-Tobago when he was in the Marine Corps and got food poisoning so bad that turned out to be IBS. All but one of his squadron were got ill there, and he still suffers from IBS today. He also mentioned being propositioned by working ladies of which there were many--but I doubt that's the kind of social life you're looking for.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

ISK is a top tier school based on their SAT and IB scores. I worked with their curriculum coordinator years ago and she is absolutely fantastic - and loves it there.

ISPS is not a top tier school. I"ve been to the school on a sport's trip and did not find it to be particularly impressive. Port of Spain is an unpleasant city. However, I haven't been to Nairobi so have no basis for comparison.
jorbie

Post by jorbie »

Guys -
Thanks for your help...
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

My friend was very unhappy in Trinidad due to the high crime rate.
Pike

Post by Pike »

My wife and I interviewed for the school in Trinidad.

I haven't heard anything bad about the school. The director seems formal, but very nice. We learned about the high crime rate after the interview. We also had an issue with transportation of the dog (horrible quarantine facility).

I heard (2nd hand info) good things about the school in Nairobi. There is an issue with crime, but the blatancy of the crime was point of the story. Most of my colleagues seemed to love the country, but Nairobi was their least favorite part.

I lived in another African country before and loved the experience. In fact, I would go back to Africa again (specifically Sub Saharan Africa). If you are looking for a real cultural experience, you will definitely get it in Kenya. I am not so sure you will in T & T.

Just another thought,... if the schools suck, but you love the country,... you might become a "runner." If the country sucks, but you love the school, you will toughen up and finish your two year contract and get the hell out of dodge. (My wife and I were the latter, and stayed for 3 years)