Quality of the Job or Quality of the City?

WEEN

Quality of the Job or Quality of the City?

Post by WEEN »

I'm in line to take a job that is the perfect fit for me. It's a subject I am heavily passionate about and one that I would enjoy teaching on a daily basis. The problem is that the city absolutely sucks. Violence and pollution are rampant. I open this forum to the philosophical query--what is more important, location or the job itself?
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Well I taught in a location that I loved, but the job wasn’t one I liked. The school was great, it was just the specific job. Wasn't happy.

On the other hand grew up in Jakarta- dirty, polluted and crazy crowded. Ended up loving it. Those kind of places create environments where you develop life-long friends. The community gravitated to the school because often that was the only thing going on.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

This is a tough one, but I think location over job with caveat that the job can't be absolutely the pits. We had so-so jobs but in a great location and the weekends and holidays more than made up for the so-so quality of the job.
senator

Post by senator »

I agree with Overhere.
I taught in a small school in China that was on the lower side of mediocre but the small city was great - great food, low cost of living, by the sea, cheap and good public transportation, live with the natives and not in an expat area so as to learn the language/culture.

If the city/area is good, that can compensate for a poor school - AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A HORRIBLE SCHOOL (then, NOTHING will save you).
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I guess my question is, do you absolutely know that the city sucks - as in, have you had first-hand experience or is this what you have heard from others. I ask, because people's opinions do differ. One of my favorite places to live was considered to be dusty, hot, and boring my others, whereas where I am currently is considered to be paradise by some, yet I actually dislike it.
Candycane

My 2 cents

Post by Candycane »

I would say go for a city you love. Afterall, outside of work is where you can escape work and have a life. Even if the school is awful, you can leave work and have options for enjoyment. An awful school can be sooo frustrating. However, a nice social life and activities and travel outside of work can make it bearable.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Hey Ichiro,

I guess I was thinking that a good city can influence a school but I think it would be very difficult (actually probably impossible) for a school to influence a city. I worked at a so so school in Europe and lived for the weekends when I would go walking in the forests or down medieval streets. I now work at a big boy school with a great reputation and resources most teachers only dream about, but its in a very big Asian city and I find myself occasionally regretting the move from our so-so school.
redster

Post by redster »

I go with the school over the city. If you don't like your days and take home work that frustrates you and can't stand being around the people you work with, then perfect scenery, food, cost of living and culture won't make it a good place to be. If your school is great, the kids and colleagues a blast and every time you think of school brings joy then you and your compatriots can put up with almost anything in the living environment. I remember side splitting laughter over no electricity, water and other hardships as we all helped each other get by.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="redster"]I go with the school over the city. If you don't like your days and take home work that frustrates you and can't stand being around the people you work with, then perfect scenery, food, cost of living and culture won't make it a good place to be. If your school is great, the kids and colleagues a blast and every time you think of school brings joy then you and your compatriots can put up with almost anything in the living environment. I remember side splitting laughter over no electricity, water and other hardships as we all helped each other get by.[/quote]

Yes, you make the best friends in the worst places. Nothing's better than no electricity, a little corruption, dysentary and the occasional flood to bring people together.