what are the qualififcations to teach at an int'l school?

Debs

what are the qualififcations to teach at an int'l school?

Post by Debs »

Hi,

I am currently looking for a job teaching at an international school overseas. I have 6 years experience teaching ESL at private schools in Canada and Korea and am now finishing my Bachelor of Education.

Can anyone tell me if I qualify for international schools overseas? It seems like every job requires 2 years experience, and I am assuming my ESL experience doesn't count.

I have a job offer at a school that sounds great in China, but I just want to make sure there aren't other options in other locations of the world for starting between September and January.

Thanks!
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Yes- do a couple of years in China and then move up on the ladder to a better school. Getting your foot in can be the biggest challenge.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Since you are doing your B.Ed in Canada, you should be able to apply for certification in your province. Your certification is what's important and make sure you keep your certification up to date.

Definitely, China seems like the best option for newly certified teachers to get their foot in to the international school scene. There seems to be a lot of Canadian International Schools opening up there lately.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

What is the job offer in China?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies! I think I will take the job offer in China.

The job in China is at Maple Leaf school, a BC, Canada curriculum school (which is where I am from) in Dalian or Tianjin. It's a one year (renewable) contract. It pays 44,000, airfare included, and a month long vacation plus the summer vacation. I would be teaching High School.

I am deciding between that, and working in the UAE at an Elementary public school. I dont know the details yet.

I did my B Ed in Elementary school. Would these options help me get a job at an international school afterwards? Which do you think would help me more?
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I would have to disagree with the "ESL does not count" comment. Although most schools prefer 2 years of FULL-TIME experience, post-license, in a public or private school system, they do not discredit ESL experience entirely. It all depends on the ESL experience of course and how you present your character and other credentials that make you outstanding. I have had 5 years of ESL teaching PRE-license, at the public school system of a given country and I am just getting my B.Ed license, this spring. I have gotten more than 10 formal offers ( both offered at one job fair and the others I found on my own through direct e-mail and research ). All were impressed with the ESL experience I had, for I actually designed curriculum in the public schools as well as teaching the curriculum I designed.

So it's not entirely a lost cause.

I say that most qualifications that would impress international schools are the following ( for those people who are just getting their license and have never taught at an international school before ):

- 2 years full time experience, post-license
- # of years full time experience, pre-license ( something outstanding like working with Special Education, curriculum etc in a public or private system )
- A license
- Well-traveled or at least lived in a country ( most schools are worried that the culture shock could affect work for teachers who have never lived abroad before )
- Globally aware

All the other factors of course, depend on you...character is a huge factor.
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

[quote="Debs"]Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies! I think I will take the job offer in China.

The job in China is at Maple Leaf school, a BC, Canada curriculum school (which is where I am from) in Dalian or Tianjin. It's a one year (renewable) contract. It pays 44,000, airfare included, and a month long vacation plus the summer vacation. I would be teaching High School.

I am deciding between that, and working in the UAE at an Elementary public school. I dont know the details yet.

I did my B Ed in Elementary school. Would these options help me get a job at an international school afterwards? Which do you think would help me more?[/quote]

P.S. It sounds like a wonderful offer! $ 44, 000 CDN / per year ( tax free ) is pretty amazing, which was how much I was getting at the public schools when I was teaching in the last country I was teaching at. I am not sure as to why you hesitated before when the UAE public Elementary school system is going to be a harder deal. They pay around that much, but for the most part, the job is tough. They have just introduced English as a language of instruction at the UAE public schools, so you will be teaching core subjects of Math, Science and English in English, of course. Good that you chose China instead.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

I was offered a position with the same organization this week! My contract was for two years though. Apparently, if you live outside of Canada for less than two years you will not be considered a non-resident for tax purposes. What this means is that you will be on the hook for tax both in Canada and China. The salary is not tax-free and I believe the tax rate for 44,000 Can is 20% in China. I read on this forum that one poster said he paid about $400 in tax per month. Plus, you have to pay for accommodation.

I think if you are single or part of a teaching couple then it is a pretty good offer for a newbie teacher. I have classmates that did their first practicum at one of their schools and enjoyed their experience there. In fact, two classmates are already there teaching and another is going in August.

I declined the offer but if I was single I probably would have accepted it. I have a family so it wasn't exactly the right school for me. Maybe, I am being too picky.
Anyway, email me and I will send you links of two of my classmates' blogs. I think you will find the blogs useful.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

From what I understand $44,000 is a decent salary, although there is no housing allowance. It provides for a decent life style and substantial savings ($20,000 + a year).

Concerning the tax, many Canadian teachers who teach at ESL schools in Asia, just tell the Revenue Canada they went travelling (i.e. did not earn an income).

It is true that most schools want the two years post cert. experience, but they definitely look at ESL experience. A few Canadian school (including Maple Leaf) like to hire new graduates and reitred teachers.

Dalian won the award for most liveable city in China a couple of years ago.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
redselig

Post by redselig »

I definintely think that 2 years experience (nationally mandated curriculum) is the preferred; however, I do know NQT's with ESL language teaching experience hired at IBO schools. Perhaps in these particular cases, the teacher candidate really has to shine...
Debs

Post by Debs »

Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Many Canadians are teaching overseas without taking heed of Revenue Canada's guidelines (theres more to it than simply living outside the country) and not coming under any scrutiny. Having said that I have cut all ties, except for one credit card. The reason being I don't want to feel the heat when I ultimately return old and grey :)