American School of Marrakesh

WEEN

Post by WEEN »

Does anyone know anything about this school?
Vgrace

Post by Vgrace »

I just had a phone interview with them. There is very little information about them on the internet, and their website is lacking in certain areas.

The gentlemen who interviewed me were easy-going and seemed genuine about what the school has to offer and what it is lacking. They also seemed knowledgeable about Education and what students need.

However, we did not get into real specifics since it was just the first conversation. If I were offered the job then I would ask about pay, living conditions, relationships between admins and teachers, etc. I didn't think it was one of my better interviews, mostly because I hate talking on the phone and the phone kept cutting out so I couldn't hear them; so I don't know if I ever will be able to get more information about what it is like working there. ;)
katesmith2002

Post by katesmith2002 »

I have seen jobs at this school posted year after year. I started googling it and came across a petition that I assume the parents made to keep that current headmaster. Apparently that headmaster ended up being replaced.

Does this school have one year contracts or are people breaking them because of issues that they really want to leave?

I am curious what would contribute to a high turnover rate?
Vgrace

Post by Vgrace »

Good question. This is the first time that I have seen them advertise, and I check the main sites quite often. I couldn't find any good/bad reviews on them on the internet, but I did find that petition that you mentioned.

There just isn't enough honest information out there, unfortunately.
missy

Anyone have more information ?

Post by missy »

Has anyone else had a phone interview with this school ?

If so, what kind of benefits does this school offer ?

(I have read the review on this site but it would be nice to get
more recent updates!)
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Did you ever find out any details about the salary and benefits, Missy?
mrspepper

Post by mrspepper »

Any new/recent info on this school as far as conditions and how competitive it is?
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

It's reputation is not good.

One would think that with the high concentration of expats in the city and Morocco's growing strength as a regional player things might be a bit better. It is solidy for-profit. Teachers are underpaid, housed in dumps and left with few resources. They recruit at Bethesda and offer one-year contracts. The reviews on ISR are not flattering. I have a contact teaching there now that I would be happy to put anyone in touch with if PM's were enabled on this board.
PsyGuy

3rd tier

Post by PsyGuy »

They are one of the handful of schools that recruits at Bethesda every year and they are ALWAYS looking for teachers. So you can think of them as a school of last resort. The school is definitely 3rd tier, and the lifestyle isnt that great. The admins are very disorganized and have a "bottom line" mentality. They are very much a business and given the tuition they charge and how little they pay teachers the owners are definitely doing well. I could go on, but really its a hole.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

There was a huge scandal a few years ago when the board ousted an American principal whose ideas were too progressive.

It's really a shame in light of the fact that ASM was established by one of the most legendary of international educators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_A._McPhillips_III