Late in the game, but am I too late?

WEEN

Late in the game, but am I too late?

Post by WEEN »

Well, I screwed up and didn't even file an application with ISS until February. Now I'm realizing I may be too late to get a job. Even though I have 5 years US teaching experience, US certification, a Master's, and extensive overseas experience, I am not getting any interviews. I want to know if I should be patient and wait for jobs to open up over the next few months. I really want to work in Thailand, China, Japan, or Europe but will this be possible? I also might attend the ISS fair in Fairfax in June, but is this even worth the money?
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

They didn't even approve me until late February. And to my knowledge, there is nothing "wrong" with me. I am a bit picky in that I don't want to work somewhere you can't go out for a drink. I also have high expectations for schools I guess.

I really want to hear from people who have been to one of the late fairs before. What type of schools were there? Were there still good opportunities? What are the circumstances in which schools would still be at these late fairs?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

You might be able to get in somewhere in China. I have an interview with Dipont on Monday; not my first choice but it is still IB I believe. Thailand - forget it. I live here and most (if not all) the int'l schools have done their hiring.

I went to the March fair in Bangkok. Very low key. Had 5 interviews, but only 3 were interested. Most schools there were tier 2 or tier 3 schools. Most were from the Mid-East, a few were from China and I think 1 or 2 from Europe.

There are still positions open but it's slim. I have pretty much given up on SEARCH and look at TIE, TES, and school websites for openings.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I went to 2 fairs in the US in February and got hired at the second one. From what I saw and experienced, the schools in Japan and Thailand are done recruiting. I don't know about Europe.

I would focus on China. One of the fairs I attended recently released a list of updated vacancies from the schools that attended, and there were quite a few positions still available in China and Mexico (you can definitely have a drink there!)

Also, if you are registered with SEARCH you should be getting the daily updates on positions in your field.
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

I'm actually registered with International School Services. I've expressed interest in almost 15 jobs on that thing, and I've only heard back from one. I might attend the Fairfax fair in June, but that's a lot of money to spend when you're not assured of a good job. Plus, that means I'd have to tell my current school in the states that I'm definitely not coming back by june. That's a big risk, because I might not end up with any job. Now I live in a rural desert area on a reservation. I've lived here for 4 years and just can't take the isolation anymore. I need to live in a city.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

WEEN, Is your "extensive international experience" in teaching or in traveling? Seems a bit odd if you are an experienced international teacher that you are not finding jobs.
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

Actually, my "extensive international experience" was in the Peace Corps.
Last edited by WEEN on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

And no, I applied to ALL of the social studies positions available on ISS. I was not being picky. There are only around 15 to apply to.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

Please forgive me if you read my message as condescending. I had absolutely NO intention of being negative in any way. I asked because I thought you were looking for some help and advise and teaching internationally and travelling internationally are two VERY different things. I recently attended my first (Search) job fair in Thailand. I have traveled extensively over 4 different continents and taught in Japan as an ESL teacher. Both of these factors were of little or no use while interviewing for international positions. Again, I apologize.
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, I've done a lot of international work but never with an international school. Tough racket to break into I guess. I'm thinking of signing up for Search also. Do you think that would be worth the extra 200 bucks, or should I just stick with ISS?
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

It may not count for much toward high end schools, but it definitely counts toward getting your foot in the door. And so does experience in the states.