Late in the game, but am I too late?

Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

I have to disagree about Peace Corps not counting. It helped me quite a bit, particularly at schools that are not in cushy places to live. But in any case, my Peace Corps experience definitely helped me get my first international job.
kakki81

Post by kakki81 »

After reading this thread I'm guessing I may be a little late in the game as well, or maybe I'm just not experienced enough. I wanted to ask the forum's opinion on my employment chances if anybody has any thoughts.

I've got a Bachelor's in Psychology, Master's of Education in School Counseling, one year as a counseling intern in public schools and one year as a full-time high school counselor in a public school. Recently I've come back from Korea where I worked for two years a full-time English teacher at a public high school. I'm certified as a counselor K-12, TEFL certified, I have excellent references and all that good stuff, only really frustrating blemish on my record is a DUI I got back in Nov 2003.

I'm registered with Search Associates looking for school counseling positions and so far I haven't heard anything promising back - I'm wondering is this because of my lack of experience or the DUI or anything else? I'm willing to work practically anywhere and with any grades, K-12.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!
WEEN

Post by WEEN »

So you're in Search Associates and not hearing anything? I'm in ISS and have only heard from one school. I was thinking about joining Search too, but that's 200 more bucks I have to throw down. Thinking of scrapping the whole int school thing and goin to work in the Bronx. Either route would be throroughly interesting. There's just so many hiring freezes and budget cuts in the states this year. Keep me posted on Search. Do they have a lot of social studies or ESL openings right now? I've seen some posts for counseling positions on tieonlline.com.
maya

Post by maya »

kakki81, Please write your e-mail and I will write back directly to you with info. I have.
Thanks!
kakki81

Post by kakki81 »

@WEEN - Yeah. I've sent letters of interest to over 20 schools, and I did hear back from a couple but one wanted me to also be teacher certified (I only have counseling cert and TEFL) and the other asked for my resume and I haven't heard anything since. I'll look for social studies or ESL and keep you posted. Yeah the states are pretty bleak right now. Thanks for the tip about that website!

@maya - I'm somewhat hesitant to give my email out on a public forum, but what the heck! kathrynardis@yahoo.com Thanks in advance for your help.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

^What he said. You are probably not going to get anywhere with these schools without a teaching credential. Not to be mean, but the TEFL is not going to impress them very much. I have even filled out applications for international schools where it says "language school teaching does NOT count as experience".
mantissa

Post by mantissa »

I don't think it's too late. This is the great thing about international schools they hire all the time. Thing happen. People drop out, etc.

I am signed up with Search, Tie, and Joyjobs. I went to January Search Fair - do not recommend, complete waste of money. Then got back and started applying to jobs by email etc. Search is of no help at all. TIE and Joyjobs on the other hand!!!!!!!!! I have just accepted a very nice job - well-paid and in a very nice location.
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

No it's not too late there are still schools looking for teachers. I signed my contract last month for the new school year.
If you know what countries you are looking to work in I would recommend looking directly at school websites and apply direct. That's what I did.
Google is your friend :)
Sport

Re: Late in the game, but am I too late?

Post by Sport »

[quote="WEEN"]Well, I screwed up and didn't even file an application with ISS until February. Now I'm realizing I may be too late to get a job. Even though I have 5 years US teaching experience, US certification, a Master's, and extensive overseas experience, I am not getting any interviews. I want to know if I should be patient and wait for jobs to open up over the next few months. I really want to work in Thailand, China, Japan, or Europe but will this be possible? I also might attend the ISS fair in Fairfax in June, but is this even worth the money?[/quote]Review my writings on "Working in Alamty" Search for my username "Sport" and read about TieOnline". There still many jobs available.[/quote]
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

This reply may be too late but I'm just reading your post. I met someone at a recent fair that had attended a January Search conference and had at least 5 job offers. I imagine the same would be true for ISS. She had no previous international experience. I also had some bites during the summer from using TIE. They were mostly schools in Asia, but they were good schools. There are still job openings in the summer. Some schools will add positions based on their enrollment. Some teachers won't come back but will wait to tell the school until they receive their final pay. Any number or circumstances can lead to you getting a position late in the game. Good luck.
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

I would recommend tieonline.com if you are looking for last minute jobs. I am always amazed at how many great jobs at wonderful schools pop up in July and August.
I think one of the big keys to international school success is getting your foot in the door. You will be able to network and in a few years you won't worry so much about fairs, particularly if your friends have some pull with the people doing the hiring.
I understand your concerns with Peace Corps. I am sure it prepared you for a lot but a lot of schools ask for two years of "real" teaching before looking at your cv. I had five years of ESL that took me nowhere. But remember schools start making exceptions as summer gets warmer.
One good place for last minute jobs in the Persian Gulf. Some of the schools there have some real issues, but I loved my time in Kuwait with the American International School. Ended up staying much longer than I anticipated and would seriously consider returning. One of the joys of teaching is you never know where you will end up and how much you will really like it there.
Good luck in your search.
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

It's never too late because of the following reasons:

- Cold feet : Some teachers who signed up in January usually get cold feet and back out of the signed contracts.
- Last pay: Some teachers sneakily break contract by going back home for the summer holidays, getting the last pay and just simply never return.
- Expansion: Some schools are set to expand ( depending on enrolment ).
- Reshuffling : Some teachers still hold out on the "better" contract and wait around at the last minute for the next thing, freeing up the previous contract.
- Desperation mode : Some schools are now in desperation modes ( even good schools are considering in interviewing candidates that they would not have considered before ).

I have already signed a contract in Europe and I have gotten around a handful of offers just this month.
Last edited by Zsejanko on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.