MEF International School, Istanbul

Belly

MEF International School, Istanbul

Post by Belly »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what it would be like working in the middle school and living in Instanbul.

Specifically, how are resources, what is the work load, the social environment and what is the housing like? I'm currently living in gov't housing in remote Australia - so it's not like I'm used to living in a palace!

Constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.
dpurple

MEF

Post by dpurple »

Belly,

I worked there about 8 years ago. Istanbul is a fascinating city with many opportunities; the school location is great and the on-site housing is just adequate to good, depending on which apartment you get.
Whilst the students have foreign passports, the reality is that most of them are 'Turkish" with poor attitudes; resources are limited and the decision making is autocratic.
In spite of this, I'd recommend the experience.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Istanbul is one of the most amazing cities in the world. Ancient and Cosmopolitan, East and West, I could go on and on with the cliches. Tasty and healthy food, friendly people, a beautiful country with varied and affordable travel opportunities. 4 seasons, without extreme weather. Of course I'd recommend it.
On the bad side, the school is poorly run. Western education philosophies are not valued (i.e. students earn grades) and teachers are not treated as professionals.
You won't be able to save very much money, but you will probably have the time of your life. I'd recommend it for two years if you are still moving up the ladder, but not for a lifetime.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thank you, those are both very helpful reviews!

If I get the chance I would use this school as a stepping stone into international schools. I don't need to save much, I really just need the experience.

Cheers,