Cairo, Egypt

michellejb

Cairo, Egypt

Post by michellejb »

Just wondering if anyone has had contact with any American teachers who are working in Cairo?? And if so, what have they said about the situation there?
BocaJrs

Post by BocaJrs »

I know... I've also been thinking about the situation over there and hoping things calm down soon, for everyone's sake.
Having lived in a country where demonstrations seemed at times almost a daily occurence I think its unlikely that international teachers are in any real danger per se (as long as they stay away from the action, of course) but I bet it's very troubling to them and their families.
It's a shame, Cairo is on my shortlist of places to go...
michellejb

Post by michellejb »

I was supposed to sign my contract today for a school in Cairo :-(

One of the places I was told I could live was Maadi, where several of the other teachers lived. I read online that Maadi was one of the areas where homes were being broke into and looted, so I am very concerned for the teacher's safety.

For those of you with years of international experience, please share your information with us if you've experienced anything like this.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I've worked in countries during times of unrest, demonstrations and tanks in the streets. Never heard of foreigners being targeted in these situations. I have heard of foreigners being injured or worse because they decided to 'take a look' or join in. This stuff is par for the course in developing countries.

To be perfectly honest, I'm hoping the US media continues to sensationalize the current situation in Egypt. There is a school in Cairo in my top 5 list for an upcoming fair, and if it takes potential teachers being scared off in order for me to get an interview, I'll take it. Looking forward to a short line at signups.
olympe

Post by olympe »

Well, I have taught in Ethiopia, Bangladesh and Lebanon so the current situation in Cairo would certainly does not stop me from taking a job. The only difference is that at the time I was single. I have now 2 children so I would need more time to make a decision. Why don't you contact the head and express your concerns. Maybe he will allow you a few more days to see how the situation is going to change. And from my experience, things often sound more terrible from outside for your relatives than for you who is in the country. As long as you keep a low profile and avoid big crowds, you will be ok.

The other thing you need to ask is if the school will allow you to follow your Embassy 's recommandation. If they tell you to live for instance, what will the school do regarding your contract etc.. It is also quite annoying when one Embassy recommands one thing to his nationals and another one another thing. It happened to me once, the British Embassy suggested to his nationals to live but mine ( The French one) said it was not necessary!
michellejb

Post by michellejb »

I have been talking to and emailing with the superintendent for the past couple of weeks. The last time we talked (last Sunday) he said he would email me late this week and call me Sunday. Well.... the internet was shut down in Egypt so I knew he couldn't email and cell phone service was just recently restored so we'll see if I hear from him today. In addition, he was supposed to be at the job fair this weekend but my understanding is that there are no flights leaving Egypt.

Now CNN is reporting that the State Department is urging all Americans to leave the country so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Buffalofan, you read my mind. I'm hoping positions in Tunis and Beirut will re-open now.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

I am not there, but have had contact with those that are. School is closed, but everyone is fine and they are just waiting things out. I would urge patience with would-be admin. The internet is still down, no doubt they will make contact as soon as they can.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

We have American friends (not teachers) who are living in Alex. They are being evacuated as we speak.
adminpaul

ISR Egypt Blog

Post by adminpaul »

Please visit our Egypt Blog and share information for teachers currently inside Egypt and for teachers considering recruiting to teach in Egypt.

http://wp.me/pwCGl-sB
ExpatGuy

Post by ExpatGuy »

This is going to be happening all around the world

The price of food and petrol is going to continue to soar

So just keep that in mind - Egypt is not an isolated case
Zsejanko

Post by Zsejanko »

I would say that I have lived in many countries that are ripe with political unrest ( I have also lived in Egypt for years ). I think that if you are still planning to go to Egypt, despite the news obtained ( whether it be from reputable sources or disreputable sources such as CNN with its biased angle ), you have to TREAD CAREFULLY. It's common sense : If let's say a recruiter is representing a profit organization of schools and is not so keen to offer the Egyptian post, then you know that it's dangerous. However, there are also some who don't care and would offer it to you anyway. You have to research as much as possible and if foreigners ( Americans, British etc ) are being evacuated, then it's a fair assessment that the situation is dangerous. Remember that anti-foreigner sentiments are growing in the region, along with the Islamic resurgence by virtues of the fact that Mubarak's dictatorial reign is largely pro-Western and supportive of Israel. So you have to consider the larger context...and money is NOT everything. Also, Maadi is a richer part of Cairo ( where most European expatriates live ). Hence the looting at such a chaotic time.