Saudi Aramco

noname

Saudi Aramco

Post by noname »

What's the real deal on Aramco? I hear the money is great, but is it worth the sacrifice to live in Saudi? Any info on Brent Mutsch, the superintendent? Thanx.
int'l teacher

Re: Saudi Aramco

Post by int'l teacher »

noname wrote:What's the real deal on Aramco? I hear the money is great, but is it worth the sacrifice to live in Saudi? Any info on Brent Mutsch, the superintendent? Thanx.
Brent Mutsch is one of THE top directors. He is very professional. Brent is also the president of the NESA executive board and is highly respected worldwide. The difference with Aramco is that Brent has many people above him to answer to. There are more levels of bureacracy than any other int'l school.

Aramco schools are well funded and resourced. The school year is not typical of int'l schools. During the school holidays teachers lead 'intersession classes' (could be academic in nature or special interest). This is for the students whose parents may not have vacations during school breaks.

Aramco schools go only to grade 9. That is not to say that you don't have teenagers around. There is an increasing trend of large groups of Saudi boys gathering at Aramco.

All Aramco compounds are very guarded, lots of security, high walls, their own police. Though Aramco will continue to be a target.

Aramco is not like being in the real Saudi Arabia. It is a whole different world on the main camp in Dhahran. It feels and looks like a huge gated community like you may see in inland Florida or Arizona. It is all landscaped, green and planned. When you are on the compound you don't feel like you are in Saudi- women drive, there is a movie theater, bowling alley, grocery store, cafe, green golf course, riding stables, and amazing sports facilities and programs (especially for kids). That being said, the western expat population is getting smaller. Aramco is 'Saudizing' so you may get a slight cultural experience though still quite removed from the real Saudi. If you are on one of the other Aramco sites they are much smaller, more remote and don't have all the ammenities and programs . Most want to be on the Dhahran maincamp or Ras Tanura site (on the beach).

People go to Aramco for the money. You don't really go for a cultural experience. Living on Aramco is easy and you can establish a large social circle if that is your thing. You will sacrifice some freedom when you are off Aramco, but not like you would if you were working outside of Aramco. That is more of a sacrifice. You have to adapt to the Muslim laws and just accept that way of life. You get paid well for it!
NoName

Aramco

Post by NoName »

Thanks for the reply. Some other questions:

1. Tell me more about the school year and breaks. As you said, it is a bit different than other international schools - 3 months teaching, one month off, etc. etc. Do all teachers have to stay during at least one of those breaks? How is that decided? How much time do you actually get for the break to actually leave Saudi and travel or return home? Just curious for more info on how the school year and breaks work.

2. I have a M.Ed and over 10 years experience. What might I be looking at for a starting salary?

That's all for now.
TexianTraveler

Saudi Arabia

Post by TexianTraveler »

I live on a compound in the Asir Mountains, on the other side of Saudi, and I would definitely recommend living in the country. The statements made about how you really don't get a "foreign" experience are accurate.

Living here is less like living in a foreign country and more like living in a really small town with a lousy grocery store. Unlike Aramco, we don't have a theater, they closed the bowling alley, and the only western restaurant in town is Pizza Hut.

The quality of life in Saudi, I would say, is highly dependent on the quality of your compound. Our houses are nice, but our compound has shrunk to where there is very little to do besides gossip with the same faces.

Your quality of life also depends on whether you can get a work visa, or iquama. Our company was never able to obtain ours, which is why they honorably offered to release us from our contract. We accepted for other reasons, but there is no question that it impacts the quality of your life.

Without one, you cannot leave the country (actually you can, but you can't get back in), rent a car, buy a cell phone (legally that is, just about anything is available black market) or change money.

That said, our situation was pretty unusual. Most people have no trouble getting their work visa. Our company just wanted to do it legally and without (I'm going to spell this wrong) baqsheesh, which is the bribe money you pay an official for doing his job. Which is why, 8 months after being in country, we still don't have one.

Good luck on getting a job with Aramco!