Anyone attending January or February fair?

sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

There were lots of jobs for me to apply for at this fair which is not usually the case. I went to the fair with 7 others and we all got at least one job offer. One couple got the offer yesterday.
Last edited by sangster2 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
durianfan

Re: After Bangkok

Post by durianfan »

[quote="KelBel"]We arrived home (USA) from the Bangkok fair last night. We are a teaching couple certified in high school econ, SS, history, geography, psychology, sociology and middle school sci, SS, lang arts, gifted. We taught ESL in Japan for 3 years. While our fair experience was good - we learned a great deal - we left without a job offer. We had 4 schools interview us. One school liked us and we had 3 different sessions with them. In the end, we were told repeatedly that we were "great candidates".

When we arrived there were 8 schools (that we were interested in) that had jobs to fit our subject areas. The crazy rush to get an interview proved to be extremely stressful. 5 of the 8 schools just told us that they only would consider IB (MYP) experienced teachers. Of the interviews that we had, things went well and we thought we had a good chance with all of them.

Would I do it again? Not so sure. The cost was extreme and so far I don't see any benefit. Now, if one of those schools that we interviewed with offers us something in the upcoming months, then I would be able to say that it was worth the trip.

Best of luck to everyone![/quote]

You are qualified in a lot of subjects - I can't believe that you left the fair without an offer.

Personally, I blame SEARCH for their lack of information about the schools' needs at the Bangkok fair. I live in Bangkok, so the expense to go to the fair is very minimal. But if I lived in the US and traveled to the fair only to find that most of the schools wanted IB teachers, I would be very angry. SEARCH needs to better inform candidates that in these early fairs, most schools are looking for IB teachers.
stuffy1

Bangkok Search Fair

Post by stuffy1 »

I have just returned from the Bangkok Search Associates Fair. I was incredibly lucky as I secured my dream job at my 2nd interview of the fair. However I wanted to reassure many of you that there are still a lot of jobs going. I spoke to a number of recruiting schools who had not filled positions - and some of these were at what I consider to be 'first tier' schools. Some schools did not advertise all of their positions at the Bangkok Fair and have held them back for later fairs. Also, really do take the advice of keeping an opend mind - I was approached by several schools that I had not even considered, after talking with their freindly and informative recruiters and doing my research, there were some schools that I would have happily taken positions at.
LondonChick

Post by LondonChick »

Congratulations to those of you who got a job, and good luck to those who are still searching. Something will turn up!

I started this thread extremely worried because I was convinced that all the jobs I wanted would go at the Bangkok fair, but it hasn't been the case at all. Out of the 8 jobs I had listed, only one disappeared, but two new (better) positions were added after the fair, and one school I was just starting to consider contacted me to see me at the London fair.

While it's great news for people attending later fairs, it's worth publicising the fact that recruiters are extremely picky at the earlier fairs so that people stop wasting thousands of dollars / pounds / euros going to Bangkok if they have no IB experience.

I also noticed that the higher positions (assistant head etc.) had gone fast, as well as the really hard ones to fill (physics, maths, general science).

I think for some reason humanities and languages positions are filled later, so people with a) no IB experience and b) not teaching a really shortage subject or c) not going for a senior position, don't bother going to the earlier Bangkok fairs. Is that others' conclusions too?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

[/quote] Personally, I blame SEARCH for their lack of information about the schools' needs at the Bangkok fair. [/quote]

The information that the schools themselves submit to Search's Web site is usually pretty clear about their IB programs, and often the positions listed in the table at the bottom will state they are looking for IB experienced teachers. Another good source is the schools' Web sites. If they tout being an IB school, then I think we can assume they are looking for IB teachers.

My current school, my first international, is an IB World School with all levels, but they actually prefer to train you themselves.
wrldtrvlr123

NIST

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="seinfeld"]NIST offered us jobs but we accepted elsewhere. We don't have 6 years of IB, only 3 and that was 3 years ago. I guess teaching couples and perfect matching to their positions available make a big difference.[/quote]

Good for you. I'm surprised that NIST hires uncertified teachers.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

[quote="sangster2"]There were lots of jobs for me to apply for at this fair which is not usually the case. I went to the fair with 7 others and we all got at least one job offer. One couple got the offer yesterday.[/quote]

Am I correct in assuming that you and your 7 friends are currently teaching in international schools? Do you all have IB experience? What areas do you teach? Also, were all of the offers accepted? By that, I mean, were they good/desirable schools? These are the types of things that people reading this forum need to know. Comparing apples and oranges is senseless.
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

[quote="heyteach"][/quote] Personally, I blame SEARCH for their lack of information about the schools' needs at the Bangkok fair. [/quote]

The information that the schools themselves submit to Search's Web site is usually pretty clear about their IB programs, and often the positions listed in the table at the bottom will state they are looking for IB experienced teachers. Another good source is the schools' Web sites. If they tout being an IB school, then I think we can assume they are looking for IB teachers.

My current school, my first international, is an IB World School with all levels, but they actually prefer to train you themselves.[/quote]

What I learned about IB at this fair is that when a school posts that IB experience is preferred, what they really mean is it is REQUIRED. Maybe later in the hiring process they will take candidates without it, but there seems to be no shortage of IB teachers - especially those that are coming from non-US countries. I would love to know which school you are headed to. BTW, Congratulations! Perhaps we rode the elevators together. :)
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

deleted
Last edited by sangster2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

I had an email today from one of my target schools in Vietnam to say they were interested in interviewing me at the fair. Actually, the email came through four days ago and went to my spam folder. I can't believe I almost missed it! So anybody else that's waiting to hear, make sure you check your spam folders! Going on previous comments, I expect I'll see Londonchick and Misskiwi in the sign-up queue for this one too! :)
LondonChick

Post by LondonChick »

Ha ha, aussiechick, the three of us have probably applied for all the same schools.
Take heart though: I didn't get contacted for an interview by my target school in Vietnam, and I DID check my spam box after reading this!
Congratulations though, it's great to know you have an interview lined up already!
aussiechick

Post by aussiechick »

I know. My biggest fear was going to the fair and not getting a single interview. At least I know that won't happen now. Another school contacted me today and requested an interview before the official start of the fair. That's got to be good sign, hasn't it?
LondonChick

Post by LondonChick »

Yes, aussiechick, it's definitely a good sign. You lucky thing!
dglorioso

London Fair

Post by dglorioso »

Londonchick and others - you seem to have some good experience from what I'm reading. What are the chances of grabbing an impromptu interview if you're not actually registered for the fair? Any chance of getting some networking done with recruiters at the fair? I probably won't be registered for a fair until the next - Chicago. Just wondering but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck - dglo
LondonChick

Post by LondonChick »

Hi dglorioso, I'm afraid you need to be registered to even get into the fair. They usually happen in big hotels and you won't be let in without the right registration details. Similarly, you won't be able to access details of vacancies unless you're registered with the agency organising the fair.
Why don't you register for the next one available?
Alternatively, if you know you're going to be, say, in London when the fair's taking place, you can go on the website of all the schools you're targetting, look at their vacancies, contact them and ask if you can meet them in London (or wherever you and they are) at that time. But it's a very long shot... your best bet is really to register.