Mexico City

samuraiwriter

Mexico City

Post by samuraiwriter »

Hi there,

Does anyone want to share their opinion on this city. Both as a place to live and work. I have read the reviews on the site but would love to learn more. Is it as dangerous as people will have you believe?

Thanks
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I've not lived there, but have visited on a number of occasions. It's an enormous city, yes, but it's possible when you stay/live in one area to make it your own neighborhood; every neighborhood has small groceries, bakeries, stationery stores, produce markets where you can make yourself known. It's not as dangerous as one would expect, though pickpockets are a problem, especially on the subway system (which is great, by the way). Your school will certainly let you know which areas to avoid and how to keep yourself safe. It's really a great city, but in the winter there is an inversion layer that keeps the smog in. That's what would prevent me from living there.
sidinz

Post by sidinz »

I lived and worked there for over three years. I did everything that the guidebooks say not to do, often had cause to walk around with large sums of money in my pocket yet never once felt unsafe. I really miss the place, the music, the colours, the food, the festivals, the history.... but it's not for everyone. Lots of interesting places to visit in the rest of the country and great public transport.

By the way, I am a 5'2" female, so not some big, tough guy that no one would mess with.
HistoryEducator

Post by HistoryEducator »

I've visited Mexico City twice--once for almost 2 weeks. I explored a lot of the city, even some of the bad parts. Overall, I love it there and would consider living there. My opinion may be a little biased though as I'm Hispanic and speak quite a bit of Spanish. I can see it being difficult to live there for someone who does not speak Spanish.

On another note, does anyone know about the international schools in Mexico City and or surrounding areas (Puebla, Toluca, Pachuca, etc)? Would like to have specific information on the pay, benefits, package. Thanks!