1 year contracts

westcoaster

1 year contracts

Post by westcoaster »

Hi all,

I'm almost finished my B.Ed and will have my k-12 certification in science in January. I've been applying for jobs and have started to get some offers. I'm trying to get a job that starts in January or February. So far, I've had some interest from a couple of international schools in South Korea that are offering 1 year contracts. Is it a good idea to accept a job at an international school that is offering only 1 year contracts and not all the benefits that other international schools offer? I really want to get my foot in the door international school job market but I don't want to sell myself short. Any realistic advice on getting into a good school with no teaching experience besides my practicums in a western curriculum school would be much appreciated.
goinggoinggone

Post by goinggoinggone »

hmmm...which international schools are offering only one year contracts? It sounds a little bit shady to me as international schools generally offer 2 year contracts. I have a feeling I might know about one of the schools that you are talking about and I can say that there are many problems there and that it is not somewhere you would want to work. I wish PMing were possible on this board because I could offer you more specific advice that way.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
William

Post by William »

Wise advice.

A) good experience never hurts

B) it's early in the recruiting process, don't sign up with the first offer you get.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Take care that the one year contract is actually a 12 month contract, rather than an 11 month contract. That has been known to happen.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Many thanks to all of you for your advice. I will definitely heed it. I'm nit that young and I do have a family. Looks like I am going go have to be patient and apply for positions that start in August.

It is too bad that the pm button does not work on this forum. Goinggoinggone, I did manage to find out about two of the schools from past and present teachers. I think I will give them a miss.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfssbjj

One year contracts

Post by kfssbjj »

The great thing about 1 year contracts is that you get a free ticket back to the states every year. At least we do. Every year we get a free ride to the airport, a free trip home, and a free roundtrip ticket back for another year. Plus a free trip from the airport to the school.

Also, if you don't like the school or want to move on, it is easier with a one year contract.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Ichiro- Good idea about opening a third forum devoted to trailing spouses's issue. Perhaps in the meantime we can start a thread devoted to the subject.

Kfssbjj- You are right. One year contracts do have their advantages. I had no problems signing a one year contract when I worked in EFL. The year end bonus and flight money were always nice to get.
adminpaul

Upcoming Trailing Spouse Blog

Post by adminpaul »

We tried to contact Ichiro some weeks ago as we think the idea of a section devoted to trailing spouses is an excellent idea. We are planning to feature a blog and category devoted to the topic in our upcoming newsletter. If you have any specific aspects of the topic you would like to see included in our opening comments please be sure to write to us at internationalschoolsreview@yahoo.com

Paul @ ISR.