Planning for retirement as an international teacher

suzlax17

Planning for retirement as an international teacher

Post by suzlax17 »

I was hoping to get some feedback on different strategies people have for saving for retirement while working abroad.

I am 26, fifth year teaching (2nd abroad), already signed on for at least 2 more at a different school. I opened a Roth IRA before I left to teach abroad, but with only foreign earned income now, can no longer contribute to it. I have a state sponsored pension in my old district sitting stagnant since being gone two years, that I can leave in case I return to the states, or that I can reinvest. My investing savvy pretty much stops at knowing I should be saving, investing, planning for retirement.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
mbynum

Post by mbynum »

My husband and I are looking into ways to save for retirement if we go overseas to teach in a year or so. One retirement fund that I have funds invested in is TIAA-CREF. I have retirement in it after working in a private school here in the states. It is a really well thought of organization among those of us who have taught in private schools and I have read of schools overseas helping their teachers set up accounts with them to deposit retirement into. I am continuing my search into this topic but meanwhile I am going to contact them to see what info they can give me. Hope this helps.
adminpaul

See this article on ISR for answers

Post by adminpaul »

You'll find answers to your questions in the following article found on the ISR Blog.

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... etirement/