Teaching in Italy

Bruce M.

Teaching in Italy

Post by Bruce M. »

I am a Canadian teacher wanting to teach in Italy. From everything I've read it's almost impossible for a non European to secure a job teaching there.

Any advice or input on this topic?

B. Mellesmoen

Teaching in Italy

Post by Guest »

I work at an international school in Italy. First, a visa is not impossible. The school might help you with it. Second, the pay in Italy is not very good. My school is not the lowest paying school in Italy with 20,000 euros a year. Very little credit is given for a Master's Degree and years of experience. Most international schools in Italy are filled with Italians (75% at our school). This makes English the second language at the school, even in 12th grade. At my school the working conditions leave much to be desired (we have a staff room that seats 8, there are approximately 50 staff members, classrooms are small, there are not enough of them, when a teacher is out sick other teachers have to cover for them, 200 minutes of duty per week and there is more I won't mention). Most staff members are married to Italians or are Italian. Some staff members do not speak English. Staff meetings sometimes switch into Italian. As far as international schools go, this was a disappointment to me since I had taught at other international schools. I have heard quite a few similar stories from teachers who've taught at other international schools in Italy. However, if you are (or are planning on being) married to an Italian, or want to learn Italian well, this is the place for you. You'll get immersed into the Italian culture and learn Italian in a hurry! After all, Italy is a very nice place to live, Italians are very friendly and VERY understanding and helpful when you're trying to make yourself understood in (very broken) Italian. So, prepare yourself for the Italian experience if you go to Italy. If you want an international school, you better look elsewhere.
Bruce M.

Thanks

Post by Bruce M. »

Guest, thanks for the info, next time leave your name!

I have taught overseas, Cayman Islands, and while the experience of being abroad is important, I am not at a point in my life where I am financially independent. I need 'the best of both worlds', travel and salary. My wife (a registered nurse) and I are looking at Dubai.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I am an Italian American ,speak fluent Italian and lived studied in Italy for a few years and have a small house in the country (Abruzzo)- also been an international teacher for 20 years . Best thing -Work in Asia or the Middle East make good money live in a place where gas and utilities are cheap, where phones work as does Internet- and VISIT Italy for a month or 2 a year and live it up. You will enjoy it more then living in Italy on a meager salary not able to do anything except visit a beautiful baroque church and pray you find an extra 50 Euros so you can go have dinner? Italia-Ti Amo Tantisimo-ma da ASIA. Italy I love you much- but from Asia.
hola

Post by hola »

Hi, I too have taught in Italy and agree with the other posts. The pay is crap, the administration thrid world and unethical in every way. The Italians do not know how to operate a school from an international point of view. Quite frankly, how do they pass the ECIS accreditation. You have to ask at least 10 times to get the correct answer and you will be lucky to get the correct answer. Changes to service of your contract was also very common.

As far as teacher development, there is very little. The school that I worked at was not very in international. Many wonderful teachers broke contract due to inadequacies. One even left mid March. I was tempted, but stuck it out because I wanted to continue to teach the fine bunch of children that I had.

Many staff, including local and international, did not seem to have credentials! I thought at least for international teachers, that would be.
I have teacher friends in other Italian schools and it depends on the vision of the director, or lack thereof. There seems to be a bias if you are teaching an American curriculum then most of the staff is American, if it is PYP, most are Brits but from what I have heard, they are more open to hiring teachers who speak native English from whatever English speaking country you are from. Trying not to be biased here but you really can get a sense of why there are problems in education in America. Many of the teachers had little or no credentials and lacked standards. Really sad.

I have moved on and now work at one of the best schools in the world in Mexico. The package is great and you are treated with respect. Besides, I am working on my masters there...what a deal!

So, if you want to live the DOLCE VITA, then do it as a tourist. If you want disoraganisation, then chose some of the Italian schools. I would say that the more established schools in Rome or Milan, Turin are your best bets as I have had friends who have worked there. There are some schools to avoid.The one that I worked at does not have a review. Waiting for someone to start it.

Hola
pat

US hires in Italy

Post by pat »

I taught at an international school in Rome five years ago, and tried to go back for this fall 2006. I was told by the headmistress that although she would love to have me come back, she is only hiring US citizens who have dual citizenship or somehow already have Italian work papers. I had parents and other teachers trying to convince her to hire me, but she said that it was too difficult to hire a US citizen, due to the change in labor laws in Italy in the past few years. Luckily, I got a position at a school in the Italian part of Switzerland. I think it is possible for US citizens to get jobs in Italy, but it just depends on how hard the school is willing to work through the red tape to get you there.
pjs

working in Italy

Post by pjs »

I have to agree with Francesco s remarks - I am English and also have a small house in Abruzzo.I have finished 2 months supply teaching in an international school in Tuscany - Love Italy but the school was a shock to my system!!! - perhaps I should have know the school had problems when they wanted me to go on supply - the teachers dont stay very long!
pjs

Re: working in Italy

Post by pjs »

all I can say is after working in avery bad school in pisa all the private schools in my area (england)want me in September - what is it work in a international school on supply and now my CV looks better !

Post by Guest »

Pamela, thanks for all the kind comments.
pjs

teaching in Italy

Post by pjs »

[My pleasure !! Just wished I had found this site and your message from February and perhaps I wouldnt have worked in Italy.Anyway the outcome is good. Back to Italy in a few weeks time to my house but will stick to holidays in the future. 8)
guest 1

Re: teaching in Italy

Post by guest 1 »

Wendy if that is you then are you still trying to teach without any teaching qualifications? Have you still got windows on the second floor wide open and primary school children left unattended in class rooms - waiting for an accident to happen!!! Not enough staff to supervise the children as they walk through busy Pisa cental station for to a hotel for lunch - for anyone reading this its 3 staff with up to 36 children age range from 2 - 11 years old!! The small nursery school children use the lift at the station which is very near the track!!
The one staff loo is shared with older boys and girls
Glad I worked for you through an agency as you are known for being slow to pay staff.
I am writing this on an open site in the hope you will now address the health and safety of the children in your school.
On a positive note the children at your school are very happy but I am not sure some of the parents would be if they read this.
I now risk your wrath but I dont work for you anymore and I was never scared of your temper! This open chat is not about me disliking your school or anything personal about you its about me worrying about the children in you care.I hope this will shame you into making the improvements needed to make a safe school.
dod

this makes good reading

Post by dod »

just read these notes and its really informative - gives me some thought as I have been just offered a job in Italy.