Who wants to marry me?

Gemini72

Post by Gemini72 »

OC: I haven't asked any questions about schools here. Must be thinking of someone else?
Open Communication

some information for you

Post by Open Communication »

[quote="Gemini72"]OC: I haven't asked any questions about schools here. Must be thinking of someone else?[/quote]

Just some info I wanted to pass along to you if you are interested Gemini72. Do you have an alternate email address?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molson

Post by Molson »

[quote="ichiro"]Just to keep this thread going...how many of us have been in the position of having to work with the not-so-qualified spouse of an "in demand" teacher. Maybe it's the wife of the new IB physics teacher who finds herself stuck teaching a grade or subject she can talk the talk about (interview) but walking the walk...not so much. I worked for two years with a guy whose wife was highly sought after as the HS principal, and she did a great job. He, on the other hand, found himself teaching 6th grade humanities!! He'd never done so before, didn't particularly enjoy reading, and certainly hated grading all those essays. A nice guy who kept his spirits up with a genuinely friendly personality...but even he admitted he'd never have gotten the job if it weren't for his wife.

I'll reiterate: the good schools seek the best. Others...well, you get what you (don't) pay for.[/quote]

I won't go into specifics as some people from my current school might read these forums.

We have a couple teaching couples and I think in some cases the best teachers were not picked for the job.

I have seen what happens first hand when you don't have the best teachers for the job and there is competition with more than one international school in an area: parents will move their kid to the school that has the overall best teachers.

I have nothing against teaching couples, but I would hate to think I got denied a job and one of the two wasn't a decent teacher.
Chinuk

Post by Chinuk »

Ichiro, I wonder if we were in the same line, as I had exactly that experience (several times!) at the Bangkok fair last year. I just thought to myself how sad it was that a school would close itself to the [i]possibility[/i] of a really great teacher who would happily commit to several years at a good school, just because of some decision made before they even got to the fair. Seems so ... short-sighted!
Snowbeavers

Post by Snowbeavers »

deleted