Kuwait

Tom

Kuwait

Post by Tom »

I have an offer to join AIS Kuwait. I have some friends who have been there for a few years and love the place- but the reviews I read on thsi web site are really awful?? Any Ideas? Lots suggest the pay is bad but i have many freinds who work in Kuwait (in Uk SChools) and say AIS is much better in benifits and salery then most of the other schools? I alsow as told 1000 dinar a month with everything else paid is very good salery in Kuwait? Is this true? Help
aiskteacher

Post by aiskteacher »

Tom,

This is our first year here at AISK and Int'l teaching. If you are getting 1000 KD a month then you are doing well and I would be interested how you managed to get Noreen [or Russ] to pay you that much!

Some of the criticisms are valid, and stem from the realities of being a for-profit school. Like anyplace, if you want to find things to complain about, you can. The workload here is lighter than I had in Canada, and we are able to save money. I would rate our satisfaction level ranges between 7 and 8, depending on the day of the week... :?

Post by Guest »

Thanks- Actually the salary is less then 1000K a month but we would be a married couple so together it is over 1000K. I have a friends at AIS who has been there for 4 years and really are happy. I have been overseas for a long time and to have had to dealt with a profit mentally (even in non profit schools) where kids are put in programs with limited or no skills- and you had to accept discipline problems cause daddy was rich and important and paid his bill on time.. , or in schools that are only concerned with exam results and allow IB students to write MULTI copies of IA etc.. and teachers were expected to take part in what by the IBO is fraud! I have been in schools that don?t pay you on time or make invalid deductions? I would think AIS is better then those examples. Schools are what you make of them If someone wants a HIGH Powered job then became a corporate attorney or work at Phillip Exter or Singapore American School.. The first thing you have to realize as an International teacher is to adapt and work within the school culture , and to have realistic expectations and not to expect to do what you did back home ?and to realize asking a persons advise does not mean one has to act on that advice. Thanks for your insight.. 7/8 is a good as it gets in most places..
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Tom or Anybody,
I would steer clear of this school for a couple of years. It will take that long or longer for the admin to heal the wounds the owners have afflicted on teachers. I believe everything cycles around and this school will to. Right now many teachers have a bad taste in their mouths due to the owners not the admin, parents, students, or others teachers. Matter of fact it was a great teaching experience for me, one I will never forget and always cheerish. Unfortunately, the owners are corrupt, unethical, and they lie. It is a for profit school so the admin fluctuates between a postion or a title that they hold. Just remember this, your level of commitment can not be more than the owners level of commitment to you. If this happens it creates resentment. What does that mean? AISK!
CriticalThinker

AIS Kuwait

Post by CriticalThinker »

Hi, I spent a number of years in Kuwait and found it to be a great experience. Did I have some bad days? Of course. But I have bad days in Canada, too. As far as the remarks in the review section, please read between the lines and identify hidden agendas. The people who wrote most of that stuff have been pegged...and if they think that they have remained anonymous....well, they haven't. These people are complainers. They themselves want everything for doing very little. They are the ones who sit around and talk trash because their minds are so small they can't think of anything better to talk about...am I on a rant, yet??? You bet. Many of these negative comments were made about really wonderful people who tried hard (and are still trying) to improve the school. There are many wonderful people -- administrators, coordinators, teachers, students, and yes, even the owners -- the owners may not do business according to our way of doing business, but it is THEIR school. Ironically, many of the people who made these negative and unkind statements have remained at the school -- except perhaps one who is going to Oman (good luck -- her negativity will follow her wherever she goes) and the others in Pakistan (one man in particular needs to get back to his chauvinistic roots). You must find your own way. Take the chance and make the experience the best you can...or NOT. In the end, it doesn't really matter what nay-sayers say...good luck to you.
Past AIS Teacher

my time

Post by Past AIS Teacher »

I am not bitter but will share my past.

I did my thing, stayed out of politics, enjoyed my time, and all went well. It was the blacklisting the followed that I never expected. We lost a new job due to baseless accusations of being a poor worker while at AISK. We could have combated it, but the positive recommendations we were given gave us no inkling this resent was harbored. Our lives changed forever.

I have heard others being in the same situation. I wish I knew why some people can be so vindictive.
da3boyzs

Post by da3boyzs »

Wow, I haven't read this section in a while. I do not have a hidden agenda. I worked very hard for AIS and I realize anyone can be replace regardless of how good you are. Unfortunately, my sense of loyalty was stronger than the OWNERS of AIS. When that occurs it hard feelings usually occur. I wish only the best of luck to that school and hope it succeeds.