QSI Shekou

rickkane

QSI Shekou

Post by rickkane »

Why do they currently have so many openings? 21 at last count. Considering they aren't a huge school, it seems a little high.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I am wondering the same thing. I have a QSI interview in San Diego next week.
mathgym

Post by mathgym »

That is QSI biggest school, over 900 students.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

QSI Shekou has always had a high turnover rate. On the plus side, Britt Brantley (current director) is leaving this year, so stay positive! QSI allows teachers who have worked in their system for two years to transfer to any other QSI school in their system (over 30 schools), so people put in their time in Shekou and then transfer to greener pastures...Europe mostly.

QSI is a great starting point for teachers...pay isn't the top, but it's not bad. Shekou is expensive by China standards...and most people who work their don't leave expat enclave that is Shekou. Western Restaurants, decent shopping...50 minute ferry ride to Hong Kong, many people look at this as a plus.

Do your homework on QSI before your interview...and also keep in mind that there are plenty of worse places to work as well.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Thank you for the info, gengrant. I think I may have emailed you previously about your experience with QSI.
Roundtrip

High Turnovers

Post by Roundtrip »

I taught in an international school once that had an entirely new staff when I got there. I thought that was a little odd. After I had been there for about a month, I found out why all of the teachers left. Our paychecks were about 15 or more days late each month, which made all of our bills in America over due. To be paid, we (the entire teaching staff together in a group), had to go each month to the home of the director and plead for our checks, which were already a few weeks late. Now having related this story, I have to say it was a fabulous year. You have to roll with the punches when you leave America. No situation will be perfect.