How are the fairs going - ISS & Search Bangkok?

Lagniappe

How are the fairs going - ISS & Search Bangkok?

Post by Lagniappe »

I was just wondering if any participants at the above fairs would be willing to comment on how it's going there. I'm curious to see what the 'mood' is like, if there seems to be lots of hiring, not as many positions as hoped for, complaints, compliments . . . especially in view of this past year's economic woes.

I'm heading for the stateside fairs in February and am just curious.

Good luck to everyone looking for that perfect job!
adminpaul

How are the Fairs going

Post by adminpaul »

You will find this information here, along with a place to leave comments.
http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... x09-10.htm
Candycane

Great!

Post by Candycane »

I went to the Search Bagkok fair and I was not at all enthusiastic about it. In fact, I was prepared to leave without a job. (especially considering I'm single).

Boy, was I disillusioned! I arrived and had more than 15 requests for interviews. I didn't have to wait in any lines for interviews. I had requests from a few top schools (Taipei Am School, IS Manila, Yokohama, Bombay, Bangkok Patana, and more!). I had 2 job offers and accepted one of them. A very competitive fair, but definitely worth sweating out the competition!

I'm a sp ed teacher and had many schools interested in me. I think this fair is more challenging for elementary teachers or other teachers in positions easily filled with couples.
Molson

Re: Great!

Post by Molson »

[quote="Candycane"]I went to the Search Bagkok fair and I was not at all enthusiastic about it. In fact, I was prepared to leave without a job. (especially considering I'm single).

Boy, was I disillusioned! I arrived and had more than 15 requests for interviews. I didn't have to wait in any lines for interviews. I had requests from a few top schools (Taipei Am School, IS Manila, Yokohama, Bombay, Bangkok Patana, and more!). I had 2 job offers and accepted one of them. A very competitive fair, but definitely worth sweating out the competition!

I'm a sp ed teacher and had many schools interested in me. I think this fair is more challenging for elementary teachers or other teachers in positions easily filled with couples.[/quote]

Just read the same thing you posted on the fair blogs.

I am married with a dependent, and thus have wondered about the value of going there. I probably will next year. I realize that it is competitive, but I know the schools I want to work at next year so I will most likely connect with the admin of those schools early in the fall.
JISAlum

Earlier fairs

Post by JISAlum »

My wife and I had planned on attending the UNI Fair- we are in Chicago. I've always wondered, and read this forum on the opinions regarding earlier/later fairs.

I'd come to the conclusion that the earlier fairs might be more competitive, and probably best for teachers in hard to fill positions- supply and demand favors them. However that Supt's might wait to hire after going to the US Fairs. Consequently had good feelings about the UNI fair's timing.

However a couple of openings we'd been watching have been filled. I'd thought they would at least remain open until after UNI- or maybe the East Coast Fairs.

At this point we're looking at making the long flight to Bangkok next year in order to be in line for jobs- especially at some schools that now don't go to Iowa anymore. It seems that many of the big SE Asian schools are concentrating on Bangkok. SAS being the only school at UNI this year. They had 10-15 openings over Christmas, but now they are down to 3-4.