New to ISR - Questions re: non-certified spouse and other ??

splendid

New to ISR - Questions re: non-certified spouse and other ??

Post by splendid »

Our family is interested in International teaching. My husband has his masters in education, 12+ years experience and a certificate in administration. I am a pediatric nurse with no teaching experience. We have two children. I am willing to teach - a subject appropriate to my knowledge or work in a school as a nurse. Would they hire a non-native speaker as a nurse? Do schools hire spouses of teachers that are non certified teachers?. Also, how often do schools cover the tuition of dependents. How common is it that schools now use Skype or other means of interview in place of ISS, Search, etc events. Is it worth applying to schools directly. Finally, I have researched family friendly school on this site but any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Candycane

Welcome Splendid!

Post by Candycane »

This board seems to be slow lately, but I think it will definitely pick up around here as soon as recruiting is underway.

With your husband's masters in education, 12+ years experience and a certificate in administration, I think he has a good chance of getting a position. If you open to go to many different places, this is an advantage. However, if you only want to go to Europe, not so much.

As a pediatric nurse with no teaching experience, applying as a school nurse is definitely a possibility. I honestly haven't seen openings for a nurse, but I'm not sure if they post those on Search. I've never looked.

Since you are willing to teach - a subject appropriate to your knowledge, I think that's a definite posibility. If I were you, I would apply as a teacher, school secretary, librarian, or an aide, but let them know your other possibilities.

[u]Would they hire a non-native speaker as a nurse?[/u]
It depends on the school and your grasp of the english language. From your post, I would guess that you are fluent LOL and it shouldn't be a problem.

[u]Do schools hire spouses of teachers that are non certified teachers? [/u]
Quite often, but again, it depends on the school.

[u]Also, how often do schools cover the tuition of dependents? [/u]
Often, but again, it depends on the school. Some do and some don't. Some only cover partial tuition. Some only cover tuition for one child. And so on...

[u]How common is it that schools now use Skype or other means of interview in place of ISS, Search, etc events?[/u]
A lot of schools hire via Skype. Some even hire via email and do a phone interview. However, you will find that most good schools won't do this early in the recruiting season and tend to do it after the fairs. IMO

[u]Is it worth applying to schools directly. [/u]
Absolutely!

Good Luck! I think you should get your resumes together and apply. You could definitely find a position [i]somewhere[/i].

:D
JISAlum

In SE Asia

Post by JISAlum »

At a large SE Asian EARCOS school, our nurses were US local hires. Usually wives of expats already in the area. You might have luck that way. As long as you're flexible on where you go you should land somewhere.

My sister-in-law is a pediatric nurse and making the transition to school nurse. She's taking a series of classes through Univ Il at Chicago. I believe she has to take 3 course online to get some type of certification (sorry I can't provide anymore help). That might make you more marketable.