Have you taught (or are you...) in the Middle East?

greendog

Have you taught (or are you...) in the Middle East?

Post by greendog »

Hello,

I have searched this forum and have gathered itty bitty pieces of info on the ME. However, I still have a few questions for anyone with experience in QATAR, UAE and/or OMAN.

I intend on moving to one of these three countries with young school-aged children (plus a non-teaching spouse). Therefore, I am not only looking for a great school to work in, but as well a school that will provide an excellent educational experience for my children.

In your opinion, based on your experience or that of a friend...could you name the top 2 or 3 schools in these three countries. In regards to UAE, I am not considering Dubai.

While I have done some research, your thoughts could help immensely. Thanks in advance.
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hello,
In Qatar, The American School, Qatar Academy and Doha College. Beware of the others. Some new ones have opened this year and have yet to prove themselves.
In Abu Dhabi, Al Khubairat. Chat rooms indicate some new ones may be gaining good reputations.
In Oman, The British School, Muscat.
Mansa Ade

Post by Mansa Ade »

If Qatar....Qatar Foundation Schools (Qatar Academy, etc) and American School-Doha...small country...lots of dust/pollution from city-wide construction...no rain...and hot, hot, hot (most of the year)...good schools everywhere...but if working for a QF school ensure enrollment for your child in Qatar Academy (QF school) is guaranteed!
Hope this helps...not sure what country you would be coming from!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Don't touch Emirates National School in either Al Ain or Abu Dhabi with a barge pole.
TallGuy

Post by TallGuy »

Hey Greendog,

I am in Doha, Qatar. Where are you coming from? Good schools in doha are Qatar Academy, The Gulf English School, QIS and The American School. There are lots of new schools being opened, so be warey.

The English School in Kuwait has a very good reputation....

Let me know if this helps....
dgkerwood

Post by dgkerwood »

My friend works at the American School in Qatar. She is very pleased. I was asking for her most honest opinion thinking that I may want to go there. She says the admin seems to care about the students, and that she feels as though her work worthwhile.

Best Wishes in your decision.
isrlover

Post by isrlover »

Stay away fro Gulf English school. Read the reviews on ISR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kkuae

Re: Have you taught (or are you...) in the Middle East?

Post by kkuae »

Anyone have any updates on Emirates National School? I have been offered a position there but previous posts make me nervous. Do I go ENS or try for ADEC?
chuck

Post by chuck »

The GEMS schools in UAE are reasonable for expats. I wouldn't say they are exceptional for kids education considering they are really about profit, but compared a lot of the schools in Dubai you could do much worse. i visited UAS years ago, it looked new and had some nice facilities, but the teachers found it just tolerable and it's location was isolated. ASD is by far the best if you can get in. I can only really speak on Dubai though.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

In Qatar, stay away from Modern English School.

What concerns me is the following:

"I intend on moving to one of these three countries with young school-aged children (plus a non-teaching spouse)"

Unless you are in a very high needs area, your chances of getting on at a school are not great (common subject teacher) to ok (high needs such as chem/physics). You also don't mention whether you are Brit or US curriculum.

What I have noticed in the Middle East over my career is that the packages are not as good relative to what they were. I lay this down to a saturated market, both in terms of schools out there and teachers seeking positions. When I first went overseas, things were very very different than today!

You mention "children' and "non-teaching spouse". Are you going to follow your spouse or is your spouse following you? Will your spouse sponsor your children or will they be under you?

If your spouse is already there, or working with an international or local firm, schools might only offer you a local hire package, meaning no flights, no tuition, no health care, simply salary and perhaps a savings plan.

I know I have given you lots to consider, and if you have been researching, I am sure you have considered all or most of them.

Be very careful, but good luck in landing that dream job in the Gulf!