Referencing ISR Reviews in Interviews

D. Vader

Referencing ISR Reviews in Interviews

Post by D. Vader »

Have any of you brought up negatives you've read on ISR during a face to face interview (or even Skype) for clarification? There are few schools I'm looking at, but after reading the reviews for some of them, I feel almost foolish to not bring up problems discussed in the reviews should I get an interview. Is this an appropriate thing to do? Do you sort of mask the ideas that you obtained the info from ISR and instead say "Some people at the fair has said this about your school......?" Does referencing ISR bring about any red flags from a school? I would think the school would assume that you've read the ISR reviews anyway......Would love some feedback on this one!
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

I would not bring up any questions regarding negatives until they offer you the job. If you are really concerned you could then ask about things you have heard, but wait until they offer and send you the contract. I would not mention ISR though...

Hope this helps.
specialed

Post by specialed »

If I were an an administrator (I'm not) and someone asked me about the "negatives on the ISR website", I would immediately end the interview and not offer a job to that person. Asking the person hiring you about all the negative things you have heard comes across very badly. To ask those kinds of things in an interview, to me anyway, makes it sound like you don't want to work there and/or you are a person who likes to complain/gossip.

I have two thoughts on this: If you have second thoughts about a school, don't take a job there. I have found that a person's first intuition is usually right. If it is not right, is it worth taking the chance? Secondly, if you do have a nagging question, ask some of the teachers that work there. See what they have to say about your question - you'll probably get a more accurate answer anyway!