How do you market a teacher + TA couple

inman

How do you market a teacher + TA couple

Post by inman »

I see a lot of talk about teaching couples, but what kind of value does a teacher + TA couple have?

The specific situation I'm asking about is:

My wife and I have worked in the same IB school for a few years now. I am fully qualified teacher and have worked in international schools for a while. My wife has a masters degree unrelated to education, and joined my current school as a TA 3 years ago when they were let down by someone else at the last minute. My wife enjoyed the experience so much she stuck with it. She doesn't have to work but it would be nice if we can continue to work in the same schools together in future. How do I present/market the situation when applying?

Do I apply by myself and then say "oh by the way my wife is an experienced TA, do you have any vacancies?", or should we apply as a couple? How do I go about it and what options does this present? What are our chances?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

You really can't apply as a teaching couple as your wife is not a teacher. Since it all hinges on you getting a job, I think you should be the one applying and interviewing without involving your wife. If the interview is going really well, and you think you're close to an offer, you might inquire as to what possibilities may exist for your wife, just as you would inquire about any aspect of living there. Since she doesn't have to work, I would certainly not make your accepting a position contingent on her employment. As you discovered, things open up and she may well find herself back in the classroom again after you get there.
PsyGuy

DONT DO IT

Post by PsyGuy »

Your not a teaching couple, sorry. All though your situation is pretty common. Its not unusual for a trailing spouse once school starts or your into the year for them to be "found" a job or something. Usually substitute, teachers aid, receptionist, PTA organizer, etc..
Whatever you do DONT bring it up in the interview, or application process, because its a non issue, and cant help your candidacy at all. If anything its a possible mark against you. Here at my school (im a lower admin) our DP principal actually writes "Baggage" on their resumes for situations like that. To a school, attempting to leverage pressure in such away just implies a difficult employee or cost. If anything you could or say "Since my wife will be accompanying me, do you know if opportunities in the community are available for her to find employment?" I'd even avoid that though, since it might be interpreted, that you need them to find your wife a job. Incidentley, if your a member of Search Associates the schools profile has an item on their review that indicates if outside work for a spouse is available (in reality since school usually have no clue what the labor situation really is outside their school, its usually interpreted as meaning support positions for a spouse at the school may be/have been/will become available).