QSI for families

MMMC

QSI for families

Post by MMMC »

Any experience with QSI?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
PsyGuy

Europe Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Hi, Im responding to your question about Denmark here, as opposed to on the other thread, because it just seems like a better place. This year im in Denmark, and last year I was in Italy.

So your a teaching couple and you have three kids? Your husband teachers math and you teach???

Honestly, Europe is not the place for you. I'll get right to the heart why. European schools dont have the same compensation packages as you find in say Asia. Mostly you get a salary, insurance, and a relocation stipend (typically around 3000€). You would use up your relocation allowance in just flights alone (for 5 people). In salary in europe most international schools cap salaries at 10 years. So your husband would make about 3000€ and not knowing how many years you had would make around 2500€ (average starting). A three bedroom apartment would eat up one of your salaries by itself (and a house a salary and a half, if you wanted more then 3 bedrooms). You'd have a hard time living off the rest. Though with both of you on staff getting 3 tuition waivers wouldnt be too hard.

In Denmark specifically we use the Crown (were not on the Euro) and salaries are very very static. All teachers make the same amount regardless of years of experience. Its part of the equality mentality. People who do the same job, get compensated the same, so a teacher with 10 years experience gets paid the same as a teacher with 1 year experience. Theres a small stipend, about 10% increase for having an advance degree but thats about it. Admins get paid more as well, but its not a lot more. The teaching salary at our school is about 25K Crowns (3300€ a month, which isnt bad until you talk taxes).

Outside of housing costs, the biggest expense is taxes, depending on your country you get anywhere form 6 months (Scandinavia) tax free to a reduced tax rate for 2 years. In italy the first year tax rate was 9%, and would have been 11% my second year, but then it goes to 40% your third year. In Denmark you get 6 months tax free and then it hits at about 50%, but you can get some deduction, such as the church tax, but you will end up paying about 33%-40% after all is said and done. Thats a big chunk of change (although you get EXCELLENT health care).

Language was more a problem for me in Italy then here in Denmark, everyone studies english in primary and secondary school, so english isnt a problem. Though Im not a member of any athletic associations, so I dont know if they are more Danish speaking or not, I do know people here prefer to converse in Danish. The biggest problem is reading mostly, as everything is written in Danish (just to give you an example, our computer network uses a virtual client. You login to a sever and use a virtual desktop, the problem is its all in Danish and there are no language settings to change. I do a lot of my work on my iPad, or personal laptop.)
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Mine Too

Post by PsyGuy »

Well thats good to hear, I like to know that theres hope I can get a decent housing package. Where in europe are you? Its just been my experience that thats pretty much what you get, and I did a brief review of schools in europe on Search and didnt see too many with housing packages. Though the top elite schools are a different world (still didnt see many there either). Yeah I dont have all the answers, but Im pretty much on target for the majority/bulk of schools. There are always exceptions to every generalization.

My relocation allowance paid my airfare and shipping (but I was one person, and that was still out of 3000€). I have national health insurance and it provides for global care as well. I also received retirement contributions from my employer. I suppose I didnt go into much detail on those. Anyway I never claimed to have taught everywhere, and i'm glad your situation and experiences are different. We need more not fewer perspectives on this forum.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Mine Too

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Well thats good to hear, I like to know that theres hope I can get a decent housing package. Where in europe are you? [/quote]

Sounds like Switzerland. There are a few schools that offer a nice package and salary.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

PsyGuy,
thank you for your response. What you are saying about Europe is what I've been hearing from people with families. Perhaps the grass is greener for people who are single. Perhaps QSI or DODDS would be better because they are used to families. We're not looking to get rich but we would like to have airfare and housing. As well as a solid education for our kids.

Interteach,
thank you for your reply. When you initially applied to teach in Europe, did you use Search or ISS? Did you go to a job fair? I'm trying to figure out the best way to see what's out there. We do not have to work at a Tier 1 school since our kids are so young. Maybe when they're older we will be more concerned. Can you reccommend a specific country to look at?
Thank you all for your time.
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Didnt find it???

Post by PsyGuy »

I was eager to read your post, and after checking the schools you listed with Search I couldnt find a housing package listed for Brussels, Hamburg, London (see below). I suppose when saying "europe" I should have specified "western europe", and not "eastern europe" (Bucharest, Budapest, Istanbul, Moscow, Prague and Warsaw) since thats what the original poster asked about (as far as Italy and Denmark are concerned), but thanks for catching me on that I should have been specific.

Only one school in the western european area you mentioned offered a housing package (TASIS The American School of England).

No schools in Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, (or Denmark) provide a housing allowance, and pretty much provide as i stated previously: salary, insurance and a relocation package (a mix of moving, settling, airfare, and temporary housing).
To be fair these schools also provide tuition waivers (I dont have kids, so I overlook it often), and a retirement plan (provided often through high tax rates).
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Didnt find it???

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"] I was eager to read your post, and after checking the schools you listed with Search I couldnt find a housing package listed for Brussels, Hamburg, London (see below). I suppose when saying "europe" I should have specified "western europe", and not "eastern europe" (Bucharest, Budapest, Istanbul, Moscow, Prague and Warsaw) since thats what the original poster asked about (as far as Italy and Denmark are concerned), but thanks for catching me on that I should have been specific.
[/quote]

Yes, there may be a few places in Europe you can live well as a teacher, but not many (INTER CS in Switzerland being one, funny he didn't mention that one). ISB in Brussels is supposed to be a great school (and one of the only int'l schools with a real SPED program), BUT, you are basically looking at breaking even there (teaching couple, no children can save $1000 per year).

Even when we interviewed at Munich Int'l School they told us we would break even (and even lose money the first year) after paying tax on our son's tuition benefit.
PsyGuy

Replies

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123:

Yes, Switzerland is one region that has some schools with housing packages, but without an EU passport Switzerland is nearly impossible (not entirely) to get into. The compensation packages are really top of the ceiling for Europe, and I'd argue even globally.

@MMMC:

Actually I'm single and have no kids, and thats still my experience. You dont get paid more just because you have a larger family, and taxes on that salary are still the same. The incremental cost of larger housing may be smaller per individual but collectively is still larger , more rooms in your apartment, larger medical costs, greater food costs, etc.

Its actually pretty common with teaching couples in Europe to get dual relocation allowances, so 6000€ would pay for all the airfares and leave enough left over for your first month housing. In western europe, outside of a few schools in Switzerland, and a couple in the UK, housing packages arent included.

As wrldtrvlr123 pointed out and I just took for granted you pay tax on your WHOLE compensation package, including tuition waivers, and private insurance (other then national health schemes) and other allowances/stipends (including housing). The end of the year tax bill can be scary. Some countries, including Denmark, have a special tax for foreign employees (expats) that caps their tax at 25%-33% (mine will probably be 25%, but its a new system, so I dont know yet what will happen). Its still on my whole compensation, but I have national health plan, and dont receive a housing allowance, or package. So it will just be my salary (since my relocation allowance was paid upfront, and used in my 180 day tax free period), its still better then the 40% on average, or the 50% max it could be.

A high quality education is important to you for your kids, and honestly I wouldnt worry about it much. Any of the reputable international school will provide an eduation above what your kids would get at a public school back in the states, and would be equivalent to a good private school education. International Schools (for the most part) are really just private prep schools. DoDDS schools are different (more below) they have more similarities with public schools. The students are pretty much your "average, middle class) kids and families. It has its benefits (no ones going to expect your students to be all A students with perfect SAT scores, or that they will get into ivy league schools). It has its cons too (most of the kids move frequently, have adjustment issues, and other problems that accompany a "military" family.)
One issue in a top tier international school, is that (and not trying to offend you or insult you), most american students find themselves at a lower performance level then their peers. Usually a grade level lower. So if your child is above grade level in the states, they may well find themselves suddenly being "average", depending on the region, they may find cultural approaches to school work, and studying VERY VERY different, with a sudden and abrupt change towards academics needed. In Japan for instance at the secondary level, students practically live and breath school. They are at school by 7, they dont leave until 5 or 6, and when they get home they study for several more hours. A 15-16 hour focus on school related work is common.
In Denmark here our students at all age levels are highly motivated for high grades. Our 6th graders (MYP 1) students are for less concerned with dating, facebook, or video games and work very hard with a lot of effort to get A's. Its one of the issues we have at our school is that with such a high degree of performance and achievement its difficult to distinguish student success.

I looked up QSI's schools on search and while they did state a housing package, they also included a comment that "there are some exceptions". I dont know what those would be, but after looking at their website and where their schools are located, Id be willing to bet that Italy is one of the exceptions (and thats their only western european school).

You both sound like highly qualified and probably fully qualified teachers by DoDDS (DODEA) standards, and they dont care how big your family is they will pack your whole house, and ship it and your car overseas. They will fully pay your travel and housing (LQA, Living Quarters Allowance) while there. The only problem is that the DODEA hiring starts in June and ends at the end of September, well past the hiring time for international schools, and almost all the schools in Europe are fully staffed by then. If you have some DoDDS questions to ask you can try the following forum:
(http://teachers.net/mentors/DOD/)

Lastly, I was a past member of ISS, and am a current member of Search Associates, I like Search better, even though it has it irritants (like the constant job announcements out of the middle east). Ive been to ISS and Search fairs and I liked the ISS fair more, but the Search fair was honestly more productive for me. Ive still gotten the majority of my positions "on my own".
KelBel

Post by KelBel »

In August I began teaching at a QSI school in central Asia and it has exceeded my expectations on many levels. During the interview there was no mention of religion and I have no idea if our city even has a church. Religion is simply NOT an issue. It never comes up. We live very comfortably and we are able to save tons of money (my entire salary and half of my husband's goes right into savings). 4 of my teacher friends worked at the QSI in Thailand and they loved it. They love it here, too. It's worth looking in to. See about setting up an interview and give it a shot.

Hi world traveler 123! Hope you are well.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

There are some good schools off the beaten path that will provide the package that you seek. Fortunately, I wound up at one of them - an IB school in Central Asia. I don't have a family, but quite a few of my fellow foreign teachers do and tuition is granted to their children. Package is good and people are able to save. The staff is a mix of experienced int'l school faculty and newcomers like myself. It's not the easiest part of the world to jump into, but I lived/worked in Brooklyn, NY for 7 years prior to making this jump and I have no regrets. I think that says a lot about the quality of the school and people that I've come to quickly respect as colleagues and friends. Most importantly - do your research about any place and really consider the pros/cons of it. The reviews of the school on this site took me by surprise because it seemed like people wanted it to be like western Europe where any guide book - and even the school - will contend that it is far from that. Also - I never in my wildest dreams considered Central Asia on my "wish list" for school locations, but here I am! I applied via Search and my associate (Jessica Magagna) was quite helpful in getting me information about the school when I received an offer so I can make a final decision.
MMMC

Post by MMMC »

Thank you all
Last edited by MMMC on Sun May 06, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

[quote="MMMC"]Thank you all for your replies. I love Asia and would love to teach there but my husband is not too fond of cold weather. Unless it's Vietnam or Thailand, he wants a tropical to semi tropical climate. However, he has agreed to consider any offers. QSI has an upcoming job fair here in 2012 and we will both attend. I'm 100% sure we'll receive offers. Without saying where you are, KelBel and Vettievette, which QSI countries/schools would you suggest for a family of 5? We don't mind the religious undertones. We're both Christian but not fanatics. We're also a mixed race couple with 3 small kids so diversity/tolerance is important for our children. We're considering DoDDs but I'd rather integrate into another culture.[/quote]

Just to be clear - I am not at a QSI school, but did interview with them. Besides funding a family of 5 to move overseas - why just QSI? I also had limits to where I wanted to go initially, but then I opened myself up to a world of great schools once I became more open to them. Personally, I didn't really like the QSI curriculum that was presented to me because it didn't seem challenging enough, particularly in comparison to IB or A-levels (British system).

I think it also depends on who interviews you because unlike KelBel, they asked me questions about my beliefs in Darwin/evolution (since my undergrad was in Anthro) during my interview and if I would push such ideas that fall outside of the Judeo-Christian framework on students. It was made very clear to me that Darwin, evolution, etc. was not something they agreed with or wanted promoted to the students (which btw - I would NEVER promote any belief Christian or otherwise over another and what educator in their right mind would?). Mind you - I'm a practicing Christian as well. I thought the religious questions were weird. Clearly, the religious stuff wasn't just undertones - it was overt and made very clear what values/morals they expected to see in their staff.

My advice is to apply to anything and everything, don't just limit yourself to one particular group of schools or part of the world because you think those are the only places that will take your whole family. You'd be surprised just how open some schools are to bringing everybody over especially if they're filling two job openings. In my year of fellow newbies at my school - there were 3 sets of families w/ young children coming in and both parents are teachers.
PsyGuy

Finances

Post by PsyGuy »

When your considering a region, especially in europe do the math on the costs of living. Many european countries (especially after taxes), wont say it directly, but would loose interest in a candidate if their compensation package wouldnt support your family. In their eyes you have 3 very young children, and despite being a teaching couple, one of you is going to need to stay home with the kids. It wouldnt be possible to support a family of 5 on one salary in many parts of europe and a school would be irresponsible to attempt to do so. Even on two salaries after factoring in an au pair or child care it would be very, very difficult.