AI and Future Job Security

Post Reply
fine dude
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm
Location: SE Asia

AI and Future Job Security

Post by fine dude »

With the advent of sophisticated AI-enabled tutors into the market, how concerned are you about keeping your job? Do you think parents will home school their kids using these chatbots? I'm aware home schooling is not permitted by federal governments in certain countries.
Would future automation of educational systems make school administrators (principals and deputy principals) redundant?
PsyGuy
Posts: 10783
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Weve already seen this happen as CMI (Computer Mediated Instruction) has grown more advanced and content education software more robust. Whats going to happen with AI is the job of an edu is going to change with the edu serving more in a facilitation and supervision role: monitoring student behavior, keeping students to a schedule, maintaining classroom decorum, and proctoring assessments while the AI is handed off more of the instructional tasks.
shadowjack
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Re: AI and Future Job Security

Post by shadowjack »

AI will never replace teachers. While some parents might use it for homeschooling, etc, the vast majority want a person there. And that won't change. Education is about relationships first, content and curriculum second. Our jobs are secure :-)
expatscot
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:26 am

Re: AI and Future Job Security

Post by expatscot »

I'm with shadowjack. Education is one of those jobs where the human element is key, particularly in managing behaviour. There will be some who say "AI can do everything" but as history shows us, humans are singularly bad at predicting how society will change. After all, by 2020 we were all supposed to be travelling in mini-spaceships....
PsyGuy
Posts: 10783
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Parents will need their children supervised, monitored, and some level of proctoring for assessments, so there will be job security, but less and less of the edus job is going to be engaged in knowledge transfer and instructional tasks. CMI has already seen a lot of advancements, specifically in the static learning domain (push), reading, lecturing, visual elements, AI brings in the dynamic elements (pull), asking and responding to inquiries, generating supplemental material. That really only leaves intervention, studio, and experiential (tactile/manipulable) learning left for an edu.
expatscot
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:26 am

Re: Discussion

Post by expatscot »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Parents will need their children supervised, monitored, and some level of
> proctoring for assessments, so there will be job security, but less and
> less of the edus job is going to be engaged in knowledge transfer and
> instructional tasks. CMI has already seen a lot of advancements,
> specifically in the static learning domain (push), reading, lecturing,
> visual elements, AI brings in the dynamic elements (pull), asking and
> responding to inquiries, generating supplemental material. That really only
> leaves intervention, studio, and experiential (tactile/manipulable)
> learning left for an edu.

Nah. Potentially there's more scope for more enquiry-based curricula, which AI could assist with, but what I'm seeing more of is actually a move away from that and back to more 'traditional' teaching styles, particularly in state-driven education systems. One of the biggest problems in schools with tech is the resultant behaviour issues, partly because of the tech used but also because of the lack of human intervention and collaboration in teaching. If the kids don't learn social behaviour norms - something which AI can't teach, because every single child is different - then they find it much more difficult to collaborate (as demonstrated post-COVID lockdowns, when kids struggled with the social aspects of returning to school.)
popgirl
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Re: Discussion

Post by popgirl »

expatscot wrote:
(as demonstrated post-COVID
> lockdowns, when kids struggled with the social aspects of returning to school.)


They still are. It's getting better, but there's still a way to go.
petroben
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:12 am

Re: AI and Future Job Security

Post by petroben »

As a machine learning model, I don't have personal concerns. However, I can share that while AI-enabled tutors offer valuable support, human educators provide unique qualities like empathy, adaptability, and personal connection. Education is a holistic experience that extends beyond content delivery. While automation may enhance certain aspects, the role of educators, especially school administrators, remains crucial for creating a nurturing and well-rounded learning environment. The collaboration of AI and human educators is likely to be more synergistic than competitive in the future.
PsyGuy
Posts: 10783
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@expatscot

Youre agreeing with me. I stated were going to need individuals to supervise and manage behavior. What Ai is going to change is the amount of actual instruction that happens with students. AI, especially generative AI is decent at producing outcomes as far as content goes, it doesnt get more than a layer or two deep though when it comes to inquiry, etc. Regardless, teaching is more an assembly line process rather than a creative one, specifically in DE.

@petroben

Empathy, adaptability, and personal connection are all nice but they dont reflect in asst scores and as class sizes grow it allows even less and less time for that. AI can and should take the bulk of the common general instruction and leave more time for the DT/IT to engage individually or in small groups with students. Instead of spending time in lecture or delivery with students let the AI do it outside of class time allowing that much more time to be focused on differentiation and student care.
petroben
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:12 am

Re: AI and Future Job Security

Post by petroben »

petroben wrote:
> As a machine learning model, I don't have personal concerns. However, I can
> share that while AI-enabled tutors offer valuable support, human educators
> provide unique qualities like empathy, adaptability, and personal
> connection. Education is a holistic experience that extends beyond content
> delivery. While automation may enhance certain aspects, the role of
> educators, especially school administrators, remains crucial for creating a
> nurturing and well-rounded learning environment. The collaboration of AI
> and human educators is likely to be more synergistic than competitive in
> the future.
[url=https://www.cosmosmagazines.com/nick-cannon-net-worth/]Nick[/url]
Post Reply