Teaching in Switzerland / Benelux

DHInt

Teaching in Switzerland / Benelux

Post by DHInt »

Hello,

I need some input.

In August 2023, after 15 years abroad, I will be returning to Europe with my partner (French citizen) more specifically to the Geneva area! We would like to be closer to family. Money and savings isn't an issue for me. I have French, Canadian, and American citizenship.

I am an experienced IB trained MYP English Language and Literature, IB MYP English Language Acquisition, and Design teacher. I am also an IB MYP coordinator and technology integration coordinator at an international school in Montreal, Canada. I have 12 years of teaching experience. 8 have been in IB schools.

I just finished official IB Diploma Programme Language and Literature training. I am also currently in the application process of becoming an IB School Visit Team Member.

I also have a BEd (Teacher Qualification) MSEd in Curriculum and Assessment Development.

I have lived, studied, and taught in France before continuing my studies in Canada. I am a native speaker of English. I was born and raised in the US. I have a native speaker level in French. I can teach in French and English.

I am wondering what my chances will be at landing a job. I need some advice on how to make myself stand out from other candidates.

Is my plan to find a job in Switzerland or the Benelux region feasibile? Is it realistic? Am I competitive?

Take care!
secondplace

Re: Teaching in Switzerland / Benelux

Post by secondplace »

Short answer - yes, yes and yes.

Just depends what roles come up...

The fact you have French citizenship will help with getting a visa as well.

Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Does this B.Ed I assume from CAN and you have the corresponding provincial registration that is a credential?
You will need some form of professional edu credential and not just a qualification to transition to a professional edu Swiss credential, which is going to make a lot of difference.

The challenge you have is that your dazzling IB resume is really only dazzling for the dozen or so ISs in the region of Geneva. Youre an English and Literature IT so you have a very focused location and a narrow field in which you are better than competitive. You just need one of those dozen ISs to be looking for a English and Literature DT/IT. That could take a while.

What you really have going for you is if you can obtain a Swiss credential than there are plenty of DSs in the Geneva area that your 12 years of experience and academic qualifications as well as and more significant to anything else is you will be local and have a right to work.
DHInt

Re: Teaching in Switzerland / Benelux

Post by DHInt »

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

Yes! In addition to my dazzling IB resume, I also have a provincial education credential in Québec. It's recognized in international schools around the world. I had 2 job offers in France last year. I just couldn't take them at that time.

Cheers!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@DHInt

You should have no problem finding an appointment, though it may take some time for an IB vacancy to become available.